LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Kaharz »

I enjoyed the new TV series mostly. My only problem with it was that it was a little to easy to figure it out. I do have the advantage of having been a huge Sherlock fan when I was a kid and teenager and having read all the stories multiple times as well as seeing several TV and movie versions of the stories. It kind of takes away from it though when you know who did it before Holmes figures it out and when the big reveal happens all you can think is, "No shit Sherlock." The Study in Pink episode was the most glaring of the three. All in all though, it was very well done.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

The Study in Pink would have been a bit harder to work out had you not read a Study in Scarlett. I enjoyed them taking the principles out of the novels and twisting them around. Although I am severely disappointed in the lack of politically incorrect second half
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

carbonstealer wrote:The Study in Pink would have been a bit harder to work out had you not read a Study in Scarlett. I enjoyed them taking the principles out of the novels and twisting them around. Although I am severely disappointed in the lack of politically incorrect second half
Maybe. I haven't read the story for probably around 20 years and my memory is not all that great. I didn't remember who was doing the crimes before watching it. But the information might have been lurking around in my brain and given me a hint without actually consciously recalling it. As for the second half, I would have liked it if they worked it in. They would have had to change the whole Mormon angle though. It isn't the late 1800s anymore. Even back then it apparently caused some stir.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

I saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo last night, having only heard that it was very violent but very good. I would rather have known that there were two rape scenes in the movie, so that I could, like, not see them or something. I would have walked out of the theater right then but I was with my parents and they also needed the car to get back home (they clearly didn't like it either but my mother was somewhat interested in the plot by then).

As Oldrac said about the book, too much shock value and not enough interesting characters. It was pretty much about sex, rape and murder. The soundtrack was good, though, and incidentally it's from the same people who did the soundtrack for The Social Network.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I went to see Beauty and the Beast 3D for the Tangled short at the beginning. It was a good short. I have no regrets.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I am now curious about this short!
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

It was a bit mostly with the animals from shortly after the end of the movie. It was quite cute. There's bits and pieces of it all over youtube too.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Schindler's List - overdone Hollywood garbage
Hamlet (Branagh) - long, long, long, impressive, long
Amélie - equal parts sickeningly twee and flutteringly lovely
Winchester '73 - really solid
The Tree of Life - great visuals but aiming pointlessly high
Solaris (the original) - interesting but stretched out
The Ladykillers (the original) (rewatch) - dark and brilliant
Scarface (the original) - strong but dated
Cool Hand Luke - rough, great
Dirty Harry - mostly fantastic
Better chocolate than choconever.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Finally saw I'm Still Here. It's sort of nuts. I really dug the concept (Joaquin Phoenix pretends to quit acting to become a rapper) but truth be told the movie was kind of slow and boring. We do however get to see lots of people acting awkward, which, truth be told, I actually find hilarious. Joaquin rapping poorly, and getting coked up, then coming down and acting incoherent is also great.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Pan's Labyrinh was on TV tonight. First time I'd seen it. Damn, that was a really moving story.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

smiley_cow wrote:I went to see Beauty and the Beast 3D for the Tangled short at the beginning. It was a good short. I have no regrets.
The boyfriend and I saw it as well; totally worth the extra to see it in 3D.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I think I was sitting too close to the front, it got blurry at times. But still completely worth it to watch the movie on the big screen for the first time. Andreas Deja is my favourite animator and Gaston may be my favourite of his characters. Not to mention, this is the first time I've been able to watch him on a big screen since Princess and the Frog from 2009. And possibly my last chance if Disney doesn't do another 2D animated film.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I watched the new installment of Underworld.
Not great.
I was actually startled by some of the 3D bits. It made me jump once, which is something.
The funniest part is when one character meets Selene (main character of the 3 of the series). They've spoken maybe a dozen words between them (essentially introduction-like stuff), and he uses the phrase "there's something you aren't telling me" or something like it. It made me laugh.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Scoop - not brilliant, but Woody Allen has some good lines
On the Waterfront - strong and classic
La Strada - beautiful and human
Enter the Dragon - Bruce Lee kicks everything
The Yakuza - subtle and careful and tough
Better chocolate than choconever.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

smiley_cow wrote:I think I was sitting too close to the front, it got blurry at times. But still completely worth it to watch the movie on the big screen for the first time. Andreas Deja is my favourite animator and Gaston may be my favourite of his characters. Not to mention, this is the first time I've been able to watch him on a big screen since Princess and the Frog from 2009. And possibly my last chance if Disney doesn't do another 2D animated film.
Beauty and the Beast is my favourite classic Disney film and it really hurts me that I missed seeing it in the cinemas here :( I was too slow to move, and now it all falls down. I did however catch Tin Tin and the muppet movie and those both made me very happy, especially the eagle chase scene in Tin Tin