LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Edminster »

Just finished Detention(2011).

It was sold to me as Heathers for the Facebook and Adderal set, but I think it's closer to Heathers for people who watched Heathers on VHS/Laserdisc when they were still in primary school.

Where Heathers was grimly sardonic in its sedate portrayal of teen angst taken to its ultimate conclusion, Detention is hyperactively post-post-ironic as it takes the modern conception of teen drama and weaves a drug-addled spider's web of a story together. Plot threads are picked up, created, abandoned completely, and resolved neatly in equal measure as several stories compete for primacy until only one wins out.

Ultimately I quite enjoyed it, but I can very much understand why a shitload of people hated it.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Finally got around to watching Django Unchained and Reservoir Dogs for the first time. After seeing snippets of Inglourious Basterds and not really enjoying it, I found Django far more enjoyable to watch. I perhaps think the concept of brutally torturing Nazi soldiers didn't have the same zeal of righteousness to me that other people might feel, even though watching slave owners and outlaws get similar treatment was perfectly justifiable for some reason.

I really loved Reservoir Dogs though. I can't believe how enthralled I by a film that chose to mainly recount the most gripping aspects of the plot through dialogue rather than showing it unfold. Will definitely have to keep checking out more Tarantino films now.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I fell asleep during Django after Waltz dies. I just got bored after that. It was late and I was watching in bed. The wife stayed up but also got bored.

Inglorious Bastards kept me very anxious. I thought it was a decent movie, but it made me very uncomfortable and I don't think I'd watch it again.

I loved Reservoir Dogs. It is my favorite Tarantino movie. I think dialogue is his biggest strength provided you like his writing style.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Sahan wrote:I really loved Reservoir Dogs though. I can't believe how enthralled I by a film that chose to mainly recount the most gripping aspects of the plot through dialogue rather than showing it unfold. Will definitely have to keep checking out more Tarantino films now.
He peaked at Jackie Brown.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Sahan wrote:Finally got around to watching Django Unchained and Reservoir Dogs for the first time. After seeing snippets of Inglourious Basterds and not really enjoying it, I found Django far more enjoyable to watch. I perhaps think the concept of brutally torturing Nazi soldiers didn't have the same zeal of righteousness to me that other people might feel, even though watching slave owners and outlaws get similar treatment was perfectly justifiable for some reason.

I really loved Reservoir Dogs though. I can't believe how enthralled I by a film that chose to mainly recount the most gripping aspects of the plot through dialogue rather than showing it unfold. Will definitely have to keep checking out more Tarantino films now.

I tell most people (or at least those un-indoctrinated to Tarantino) to watch Inglourious Basterds, but to stop after the opening scene with Waltz. The rest of the movie has some great parts, but that opening scene is 1) watchable for those uninitiated to Tarantino's bloody style, 2) A marvel in both writing and acting regardless of Tarantino being the scribe/director, and 3) easily the best part of the movie. I truly believe that scene alone is his best work. Hell, it may even be my favourite scene ever.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Watched Birdman with the family. I loved it. The "continuous take" format really gets you into mood of the film. Seeing live theater performances almost always makes me a little anxious, and I felt that in the early practice runs. Emma Stone looks almost exactly like one of my cousins, who is coincidentally also an actress*. Edward Norton was great. I don't think it's the kind of movie I would watch again, but some really excellent movies are like that.

*not as good
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I don't think it's the kind of movie I would watch again, but some really excellent movies are like that.
I have a bunch of those. Mostly, though, because they are too dark to watch again despite my huge admiration for them.
1. Requiem for a Dream - I have seen it twice, but it took nearly a decade for me to opt in for a second time. Fantastic but really, really depressing.
2. Doubt - I bought it as the only third movie I could find in a 3 for $X bin. I loved it, but despite a fantastic script and magnificent acting, I just can't bring myself to watch it again. Again due to a rather depressing ending. Which means the DVD is still untouched as my first viewing was previous to purchase.
3. Half Nelson - This movie might make it into my top 25 movies, but I can't bring myself to watch it again. My sister owns it and I borrowed it for at least 6 months, along with a handful of others. I simply couldn't bring myself to watch that movie again in that time. This is the movie I list when I talk about very realistic movies. I know of a few others (I've heard Blue Valentine is similar, for example), but this is one stark and wonderful example.
4. Lars and The Real Girl. - A little different in that it is great and much more rewatchable than the others, but the performances, script and emotional impact it had makes me not really want to watch it alone. I don't recall crying during the movie, but was close. The only other movie that has really shaped me that much would be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

There are also other movies that I watch far less than my admiration for them merits. Most notably Memento and 12 Monkeys. Both have so much going on that to watch them even semi-peripherally (while doing something else) tends to confuse me even with multiple viewings under my belt. And those two movies are in my top 10.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

If you are not actively watching Mad Max: Fury Road this very minute you have made incorrect life choices.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Edminster wrote:If you are not actively watching Mad Max: Fury Road this very minute you have made incorrect life choices.
I knew I forgot to post something. YEAH. My housemate and I went to see it opening day. We loved it. Housemate said it was the best action movie he'd ever seen. We stopped by our regular coffeeshop after seeing it (driving) and I automatically tensed up because there were people outside the car and I expected violence from them.

It's so freaking artsy. And I loved that Max was, quite literally, mad in the original meaning of the word. It tickles me to death that Charlize Theron is the same actor that played the MRF girlfriend in Arrested Development.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Edminster wrote:If you are not actively watching Mad Max: Fury Road this very minute you have made incorrect life choices.
I'm aware of my bad life choices, you don't need to keep shoving my face in them!
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:And I loved that Max was, quite literally, mad in the original meaning of the word.
You mean, injured?
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

DonRetrasado wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:And I loved that Max was, quite literally, mad in the original meaning of the word.
You mean, injured?
In the head.

I knew not checking that was going to bite me in the butt.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I knew I was going to have to see it after those Return of Kings morons made a big song and dance about boycotting because of the 'feminist propaganda'.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Apocalyptus wrote: I knew I was going to have to see it after those Return of Kings morons made a big song and dance about boycotting because of the 'feminist propaganda'.
I didn't know what you were talking about, so I googled it. I mostly regret that. I was somewhat comforted by the idiot doing the ranting having obviously heard of "mores" in regard to social norms and morals, but equally obviously hasn't read about them since he spelled it "moray." I guess it is hard to find time to read when you are busy ranting about a movie you haven't even seen yet.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I intend on seeing it in the next week. On a "masturdate". A word I adore, learned from a friend last week. Masturdate being when you go on a date-like activity by yourself.