LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Kimra »

Ummm.....

Real Steel: Better than expected. Managed to be what it set out to be, which was entertaining and hollywood, with robot fights.
Them other movies what I watched: I have no memory of them, despite rechecking what they were just a few hours ago. I guess I'll check again later.
King Prawn

Sprinkles
[Insert Here]

Post by Sprinkles »

I watched

Duck Soup - 1 hour and ten minutes, funny. The verbal humour sounds very strange at the beginning, when Groucho is talking to a dowager, but it just becomes natural throughout the film and features many setpieces that are still funny today.
Aliens - I saw Alien about a month ago and decided to watch the sequel. Aliens is different from Alien, more of an action film than a horror, however it is very exciting.
Oldboy - A korean film about revenge, beautifully told, tense and exciting. There is a sex scene, do not masturbate to it, there are revelations in this film.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

The alien movies are each a completely different style. The next one (Alien cubed), you will find, is an okay style but a general suck. The one after that (Alien Resurrection) is pretty friggin amazing until the last ten minutes.

The one that's coming out this year? I have high high hopes for it because it's Ridley Scott all over again (he did the first one, plus other movies some people like, but he's best when he makes sci-fi). High hopes means they are likely to be dashed. However Promentius is a prequel and has some pretty good actors in it as well. Mostly I'm just saying this to advertise the movie on their behalf.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote: The one that's coming out this year? I have high high hopes for it because it's Ridley Scott all over again (he did the first one, plus other movies some people like, but he's best when he makes sci-fi). High hopes means they are likely to be dashed. However Promentius is a prequel and has some pretty good actors in it as well. Mostly I'm just saying this to advertise the movie on their behalf.
YES YES I AM SO PUMPED FOR PROMETHEUS.
I am really hoping it meets expectations, as the trailers look really really good. Everything I've heard points toward there being a lot of effort and skill being deployed to make this a really interesting story.

Here's the latest trailer if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Oh, plus Ridley Scott has said that he doesn't consider anything past Aliens to be canon.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

It just looks so pretty. The sci-fi tech just looks sooo pretty. It's going to take effort to ignore that the Alien movies tech looks so much less... fancy. BUT I also don't care, because I want to watch the pretty movie.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

The prettiness of the tech does make sense in that the Prometheus is basically a corporate expedition, with all new and expensive bells and whistles. The Nostromo, being a low budget grubby mining vessel, may actually be older than the Prometheus but the company has no reason to replace it if it still works.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I watched that Sex Drive fillum t'other day. It's of the standard American teen sex mould, with the formulaic 'improbably nice virgin wants to lose virginity' with the stock characters that are usually involved in these 'I'm a nice guy who's in love with my best friend'. I bet there's a review out there with the execrable quote "American Pie for the iPhone generation" or something similarly crass.

Anyway, it's not too bad. Seth Green appears to have taken Ben Stiller's mantle of 'passively aggressive comedic asshole' as the Nice/Jerk Amish Guy. The writing is tight, and some of the jokes are funny. Comedic violence is also good, especially as all the characters get unexpectedly pained upon. Even the female ones - and they are rare targets for comic violence. What with the problem of violence-for-realsies meaning filmmakers don't touch female-targeted slapstick with a ten-foot comically-oversized clown glove on a pole.

It's also got that chick from 30 Rock in it. I enjoyed it. It's in the same vein as Porky's, American Pie, Road Trip, et al., with various gross-out set-pieces and an over-reliance on homophobia/brodudeisms. The characterisation has been done-to-death, however, but the actors make a good effort in carting out the same old horse.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I don't think I knew that Fassbender was in Prometheus.
I definitely didn't know Theron was in it.
It has been decided that I will see this in theatres.

Sprinkles
[Insert Here]

Post by Sprinkles »

I think I will join you.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

I'm up for it. When's the meetup?
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

Sprinkles
[Insert Here]

Post by Sprinkles »

Well now that you're in, it's moved from being halfway between Canadia and england to one third of the distance from england to Canadia.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

Hmmm, why stop there? The more we recruit, the less travel for us.

Felstaff, you in?
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:The prettiness of the tech does make sense in that the Prometheus is basically a corporate expedition, with all new and expensive bells and whistles. The Nostromo, being a low budget grubby mining vessel, may actually be older than the Prometheus but the company has no reason to replace it if it still works.
And the army ship in Aliens? It was surely fitted out with all the gizmos of the universe.

Also, I'm in. So that moves it to somewhere even more awkward to reach. Maybe somewhere in Africa?
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Depends on how you calculate. Ontario Canadia is closer to AUS than England is. So my thinking is that would take the bias and put the viewing somewhere in the Atlantic, probably. Closer to the US coast. Maybe Bermuda?

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

With any luck, and accounting for Euclidean geometry, and the fact I don't understand it, the coordinates of the meetup should be around the Shetland Isles. Fortunately I know of a cracking little picture-house in Unst.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...