LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Apocalyptus »

Yeah I really would have liked to have seen more stuff set in that universe, and there was stuff in the film I would have liked to have seen explored more.
I was actually expecting something to happen with the creature that clung to his car, like growing to maturity and becoming a threat or something like that, but I was surprised when it never happened.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

If you want more stuff then I highly recommend you get the DVD, as it is jam-packed with neat trivia and also is completely in-universe; the Director's commentary has the conceit that Buckaroo is a real person and that this is in fact a docudrama (also it's co-commentated by the REAL Reno). There's also a subtitle facts track that addresses the thing you spoiler tagged.

If you want to see another movie with an incredibly rich universe that was mismanaged in an entirely different way then I recommend Robot Jox.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Well I'll definitely have to check out the DVD, it sounds like the extra content and commentary would be really entertaining. Plus I will take any excuse to again hear John Lithgow say 'Bigbooti' a lot of times.
Robot Jox also sounds pretty fun, all this stuff I've barely heard of makes me wonder what else I'm missing out on.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Ah, it's an awesome-yet-underseen film. There's also a comic book! And a regular book, but I haven't read that.
Better chocolate than choconever.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

Saw "Going by the Book", a Korean comedy which apparently is a remake of an earlier Japanese film. Premise: to assure the public they can respond to bank robberies, the police department puts on an unscripted robbery enactment. The person with the role of the robber turns out to be the only competent one around.

Really hilarious movie, I had a lot of fun watching it. Here's the subtitled stream I watched if you like that kind of thing: http://kmovieaddicts.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -book.html
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I want to watch the Hunger Games. I want to watch it without seeing any ad's for it first (because I'm gonna see it anyway). It makes me very annoyed, therefore, that they are advertising it in every ad break and it doesn't come out until the 22nd. *grumble*
King Prawn

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Okay, I have not been listing the films I've seen here, so:
- Poltergeist - great fun; probably the one Spielberg film I've actually liked, and it wasn't even his film
- Goodbye, Mr. Chips - utterly charming
- Barton Fink - brilliant
- His Girl Friday - fast, but went nowhere
- Alphaville - interesting mixture of sci-fi and detective, but I couldn't tell where he was being satirical and where he was being lame
- The Matrix (rewatch) - what can I say, it's got solid action but shitty dialogue
- Star Wars Episode V - even shittier dialogue, and a lot of crap in between; but Carrie Fisher is fantastic
- A Hard Day's Night - a lot of fun/pun; cheered me up a lot
- Frankenstein - quite iconic and great set pieces (though I prefer Dracula)
- The Book of Eli - nice action but not enough of it
- A Shot in the Dark - light enough
- Hugo - very, very nice and the I didn't mind cliché
- Serenity - way better than Firefly
- Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann - the plot sounds great but it's actually an awful film (a motorcyclist travels back in time to the Old West)
- Seven Samurai - amazing
- Timecop - amazing
- Crash (the Cronenberg one) - fascinating and wonderful
- Assault on Precinct 13 (the original) - dark and odd
- Time After Time - goofy and lighthearted

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

zomgmouse wrote: - Serenity - way better than Firefly
I kind of agree.
Mostly I've argued that the movie is as good as the 3 best episodes of the season.*

*For me these would probably be Ariel, War Stories and Objects in Space.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

I just thought that because they only had two hours, they packed all the awesomeness into them, rather than stretching it out for fourteen episodes, which, while at times quite good, got pretty monotonous after a while.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

John Carter: Smiley you will enjoy it. I found it light and fun, badly written in places (what action movies aren't), had some cute ideas and although the back story was a bit choppy it was enjoyable. Pretty to look at, some highly likeable characters (John Carter is, unsurprisingly, just boring), and the best toad/dog I have ever seen!
King Prawn

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kimra wrote:John Carter: Smiley you will enjoy it. I found it light and fun, badly written in places (what action movies aren't), had some cute ideas and although the back story was a bit choppy it was enjoyable. Pretty to look at, some highly likeable characters (John Carter is, unsurprisingly, just boring), and the best toad/dog I have ever seen!
Excellent, good to know.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

from what i heard, DT is far too clothed to be faithful to the novels.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Edminster wrote:from what i heard, DT is far too clothed to be faithful to the novels.
I guess that's the girl? Her name was Daj(a?) or something. That's going to be the only person anyone's really upset about not showing more flesh. He was all pasty white and although he had muscles I did not find him pretty to look at.
King Prawn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Deja Thoris, yeah. In the books she wears literally nothing but jewellery.

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Edminster wrote:Deja Thoris, yeah. In the books she wears literally nothing but jewellery.
Why didn't they do that? They could have done that and still covered more of her than she was wearing for most the movie. it could have been awesome and pretty.
King Prawn