LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by In Jam »

well at the start far away and by the end you could make out continents with the naked eye.

At the start no one knew if there were people on the planet, maybe that accounts for the late start. But I liked that it was SETI doing their actual job for once.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

For most of the movie they'd have to have been way closer than Mars and Earth, judging by how big earth was on the horizon.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Watched that Moon programme t'other day. Indeed it was as brilliant as I'd expected, coming from Zowie Bowie. I'm on a bit of a Sam Rockwell binge at the moment, having watched Choke a few days before (meh) and a little bit of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I didn't like that much when I first saw it.

So by 'binge', I mean three fillums.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Quick, watch Galaxy Quest!
Better chocolate than choconever.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Felstaff wrote:Watched that Moon programme t'other day. Indeed it was as brilliant as I'd expected, coming from Zowie Bowie. I'm on a bit of a Sam Rockwell binge at the moment, having watched Choke a few days before (meh) and a little bit of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I didn't like that much when I first saw it.

So by 'binge', I mean three fillums.
Funny that you say that, as I watched Choke in the last week as well.
And while I didn't watch Moon, I did watch his (Bowie Jr.) sophomore effort, Source Code. It was a much better movie than I expected. Perhaps that's because I don't expect much from Jake Gyllenhaal. But the film was good, had some similar surrealist aspects to Moon, and was better written than I thought.

I watched it just after The Adjustment Bureau. Good concept, fairly well executed. I kind of wish there was more mention of morality, seeing as that seems to be a pretty fundamental aspect of predestination, at least to me.

I also watched Thor and Captain America. The former was pretty good, the latter decent.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I watched a movie called Surf Nazi's Must Die. The trailer promised me an old super-patriot black woman on a quest for vengence against surfing neo-nazis. Disappointingly it was more about surf-gang warfare
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

- Ghostbusters (seen it before, but watched it in the cinema. Really really great)
- Shane (a bit dated, but still wonderful)
- This Sporting Life (rough and grey)
- Odd Man Out (very fine)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (classic but pointless)

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I watched Rango today. The animation was good, but the story felt like a mashup of other movies I've already seen, cliche and kind of dull. I wouldn't rate it very highly.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

The Outsiders was the last film I watched in 2011. It was pretty good; had nice cinematography and had a nice insight into a cultre, but it was a bit weak.

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

I saw 4 Wes Anderson films and then Drive.

The life aquatic with Steve Zissou was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. Emotional in parts, the music was great, a fun film. The Royal Tenebaums was good also. The Darjeeling Limited was good. Rushmore was good too, Jason Schwartzman was very good.

Drive was good.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Went to see the Fincher version of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Great movie.
Had a few differences from the first film, which I will be rewatching soon.
As I now have the book series (which is next after finishing the last of the Game of Thrones series) I will be interested to see what each of the directors took/left from the book and other such liberties.

I also watched Beastly, which was terrible but fun. I was at my sister's for New Years and both of us were being extremely lazy, and thus didn't change the channel when it came on. But we kind of "rifftrax'd" it. That movie is so ridiculously vapid, it was hilarious.
The moral of this retelling: If you are ugly all you need to be is rich and willing to conform to your desired partner's persuasions (force interest in their likes, feign similar interests, and so on). Then you will get the girl, and get your looks back.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I watched the BBC production of As You Like It. Always a fun play, though I always side with Phebe in the whole Silvius affair. And Rosalind is downright mean to her. Also the actresses who play Rosalind and Celia were quite good.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Watched [Rec]2 and His Girl Friday. Remarkably similar films!
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Finally saw Tron Legacy. Not a very good movie.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil, on the other hand, was amazing and hilarious. A fantastic inversion of the hillbilly horror trope; definitely see it if you have the chance.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud