LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

sotic
[Insert Here]

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by sotic »

Edminster wrote:Finally saw Tron Legacy. Not a very good movie.
I was under the impression that people only ever watched that movie for Daft Punk.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Felstaff wrote:Watched [Rec]2 and His Girl Friday. Remarkably similar films!
When I saw His Girl Friday my mind too went to Spanish horror films.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Wings of Desire and Paris, Texas. Extraordinary films.
Better chocolate than choconever.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Penelope, an extremely enjoyable fantasy romance, although I hold it would have been better if they had used McAvoy's native accent...also how did she become a teacher with no qualifications??
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Netflix recently put up all the Star Trek movies, so I've been rewatching them over the past week. I just finished First Contact, and will be watching Insurrection either later tonight or sometime tomorrow.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Plowing through all of Lexx because it's on Netflix. Afterwards I'll watch all of Farscape so I can see if ten years on I still believe Lexx to be the superior show.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Just came from watching Sherlock Holmes 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Good follow-up.
I had forgotten about Stephen Fry's involvement. Very nice, indeed. He's also got a (nearly) nude scene.
Some interesting camera shots. A few times the use of slow-motion and the like got a bit overdone, but this was mostly overshadowed by a few really interesting and pretty techniques that Richie used.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Just came from watching Sherlock Holmes 2: Electric Boogaloo.
I laughed.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I found it highly enjoyable especially the bits about Stephen Fry's bits. I was wondering if they were going to do the fall in this movie, and they did not disappoint. Moriarty was exceptionally well done, and while it was all a lot more far fetched than the first, the action kept me going from post to post.
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I was particularly struck by how they kept with the books in having all bad guys vaguely bestial and subhuman. Even Moriarty, screaming with primal rage as contrasted with Sherlock's serenity during the fall. The whole sequence leading up to that part was great, too.

If you're wanting more interpretations of Sherlock Holmes and haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the BBC-produced Sherlock.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Blade Runner - grimy, great
Peter Pan - magical animation, prickish character
Moon - terrific but flawed
Deliverance - a hell of a ride
Silent Running - visually great but otherwise daggy
Dark Star - absurd, dark, wonderful
Better chocolate than choconever.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

carbonstealer wrote:I found it highly enjoyable especially the bits about Stephen Fry's bits. I was wondering if they were going to do the fall in this movie, and they did not disappoint. Moriarty was exceptionally well done, and while it was all a lot more far fetched than the first, the action kept me going from post to post.
Having pretty much no experience with the books, when I watched the fall, I thought that they could bring it back. Now I realize that having it in line with the books, to bring Moriarty back would be really really stupid.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Edminster wrote:I was particularly struck by how they kept with the books in having all bad guys vaguely bestial and subhuman. Even Moriarty, screaming with primal rage as contrasted with Sherlock's serenity during the fall. The whole sequence leading up to that part was great, too.

If you're wanting more interpretations of Sherlock Holmes and haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the BBC-produced Sherlock.
It is interesting to see how racist (and mormanist) Doyle is in those books. I did have one problem with the lead up, when they were both nutting out the situations in their heads. Some of the silent communications seemed a bit out of place... but Moriarty's face as he falls... brilliant. I have watched Sherlock, and when the lead actor is called Benedict Cumberbatch, how can you lose? I am so excited for the new season

e: Did anyone see Holmes in the armchair before he was revealed?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

carbonstealer wrote:
e: Did anyone see Holmes in the armchair before he was revealed?
Slightly before he moved. I looked for him as Watson was exiting, and caught it a second before he stood up. There were two things I hoped for in that last scene (as Watson was writing and his wife came in). Holmes to show up in urban camouflage, and for him to not reveal himself to Watson but to tack a '?' to "The End". Both of which he did.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I love the miniseries Sherlock-- can't wait for more to come out!

And I really want to see the second movie and those spoilers are just taunting me with forbidden knowledge.

I just watched X Men: First Class the other day and I liked it.