~contraction chat ft. Louie~

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: Louie

Post by LordRetard »

Edminster wrote:hang on we gotta get an expert in here

LR! settle a bet are contractions one word or multiple words
This is totally not my department but anyway I believe contractions keep the same number of words as when expanded.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I love Louie! I can't stop laughing, but I feel like I'm dying on the inside at the same time.

So can't is two words, but cannot is still one?

I think that contractions count as one word. They used to be two (example: "would n't") but have since evolved.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

cannot and can not are two different things though and I am unsure how cannot got all shrunkified while can not remains uncontractable

Like, this weekend I can not go to the movies, meaning I have the option of not going. If I cannot go then there is no chance of catching a flick.

English is riddled with inconsistencies
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Contractions are 1.5 words. There, it is settled. Except in the case of triple contractions, which I'd've counted as two words.

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Post by FengharTheNord »

Kovvy wrote:I love Louie! I can't stop laughing, but I feel like I'm dying on the inside at the same time.

So can't is two words, but cannot is still one?

I think that contractions count as one word. They used to be two (example: "would n't") but have since evolved.
I know god. The fourth episode where he's like "I think when she turns eighteen I'll just...kill myself" and THEN THE EPISODE ABOUT THE WORD "F AG" OH GOD. I tear'd up. Some of the best T.V. ever made ever. I really hope it just keeps building momentum.

ALSO A FIXED IT YOU BUTTMUNCHERS. NOW IT IS 25 WORDS. NO CONTRACTIONS.
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
Wait I live in a universe.
bow chicka bow wow

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

now half the thread makes no sense fenghar look at what you have done
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Post by FengharTheNord »

It's all you guys' fault.
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
bow chicka bow wow

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I take full responsibility for my actions. :(

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Post by FengharTheNord »

Naw you're cool you actually talked about louie. WHICH REMINDS ME. I'M OFF TO WATCH THE FIFTH EPISODE THAT JUST CAME OUT YESTERDAY.
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
bow chicka bow wow

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I am meaning to watch Louie eventually, everyone I know highly recommends it, it's just a matter of either catching it on TV (which I haven't been watching much as of lately) or going and downloading it (which will happen; eventually).
Edminster wrote:cannot and can not are two different things though and I am unsure how cannot got all shrunkified while can not remains uncontractable

Like, this weekend I can not go to the movies, meaning I have the option of not going. If I cannot go then there is no chance of catching a flick.

English is riddled with inconsistencies
Why must you upset me yet again, Ed. If you actually have any interest in the subject I can probably come up with an explanation for this. There will be pictures involved.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

So cannot = can't, and therefore is still one word despite being a contraction? I guess that was a bad example on my part.
I don't know, I still feel that contractions are single words. I can't cite anything, but I think Google Answers backs me up.

Are you talking sentence-diagram pictures, LordRetard, or some other kind?

I've actually only seen the first three episodes of Louie (and some of his stand-up), but I loved it all. It turns out I don't get FX, even though I thought it was kind of a basic cable deal.. So I copied them from my friend's hard drive.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Kovvy wrote:So cannot = can't, and therefore is still one word despite being a contraction? I guess that was a bad example on my part.
I don't know, I still feel that contractions are single words. I can't cite anything, but I think Google Answers backs me up.
You're right, it's
Kovvy wrote:Are you talking sentence-diagram pictures, LordRetard, or some other kind?
Sentence-diagrams. I use the X-bar method. Basically, when you're saying something like "you can not go to the movies", if you write out a syntax tree you can plainly see that "can" and "not" aren't really connected. "Not" is basically on the same level as "go to the movies".

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

petition we rename this thread ~contraction chat ft. Louie~

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

We don't actually have to petition, right? We can just go and change it.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

well yeah but i figured i'd give people a chance to object before ignoring them

gödel stop spreading fud