Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Edminster is super lazy so I had to make him this KSP th

Post by Edminster »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:Image
WOOOOOOOOOO MOON LANDING
Totally worth the first two crashes.
A few questions!
  1. How in the hell did you control that on the descent?
  2. Does the light prevent the Kerbal from exiting the command pod?
  3. What got decoupled from the top?
And a couple of design comments.
  1. Decouplers decouple from the side the arrow is pointing to.
  2. In the VAB, you can flip and rotate parts using w/a/s/d/q/e and for fine rotations press them and shift at the same time.
  3. How in the actual fuck did you fly that thing, it looks like the navball would be inverted.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Those were some fast questions.

During the descent I aimed that thruster to keep the craft below 20m/s so that I could modulate it down to below 10m/s for the landing, which I knew it would survive. It wasn't very hard, and mostly involved aiming the ship prograde, as it was supposed to land upside down. That decoupler is only there because it removed this part of the ship from my battery of rockets, or what was left of them by that point. When I made the ship those landing struts pointed upwards. The navball was only inverted during the descent, which I failed twice. The first time was because I accidentally burned retrograde and slammed into the Mun like an interplanetary cannon shell. The second time, I ran out of fuel and hit at a mere 50m/s, which was still more than fast enough to disintegrate my craft. The third time was juuuuuuuust right.
The light caused mr. Kerman to bash his head and fall most times he exited the craft. This was unfortunate for him, because I didn't give a shit and I wanted those samples as soon as possible.
To conclude, what you are seeing here are the twisted remains of something created by trial and error, and without regard to aesthetic or inconvenience.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:The navball was only inverted during the descent, which I failed twice. The first time was because I accidentally burned retrograde and slammed into the Mun like an interplanetary cannon shell.
These two statements just might be related. Image
Incidentally this is also the reason my Duna lander is stranded over Duna instead of safely landed on the surface transmitting Science. When you invert the Navball, the Pro/Retrograde markers are also inverted.

Your lander wounds my sensibilities of rocket design in the best way possible, because it worked.

Also, News!

KSP Devblog wrote:

So these are our main goals for 0.23:
  • All-Around Optimizations
    We’re going through each line of game code and making sure things are getting done as efficiently as possible. We’re also optimizing the asset loaders to reduce loading times, and upgrading to the latest version of Unity, to take advantage of all its new tweaks and fixes.
  • The Science Archives
    Collecting scientific data isn’t just about advancing the tech tree. The Science Archives will be a new section on the R&D Facility, which lets you review all the data you’ve accumulated to date. This is your library to view all the knowledge you’ve gathered for Kerbalkind. Also, this overview should help plan future missions.
  • Tweakables
    This long-awaited feature is finally coming with this update. Tweakables will allow you to open a context menu for each part during construction. This allows for unprecedented freedom in design and setup of a spacecraft. Want your wingtip control surfaces to act only as ailerons? Or your landing gear to start deployed or retracted, or to make some of them steerable? Tweakables will allow for all that, plus many other adjustments.
  • Science Revisited
    We too have been playing the newly-implemented Career Mode, and taking in all the feedback from the community. We are changing a few things to make Science much more interesting:
    • The Transmission logic is being redone, so no matter how many batteries you’ve got, you won’t be able to max out a subject by just using antennas.
    • We’re also changing the way experiments allow being reset, so don’t get too attached to those endlessly-repeatable experiments.
  • Science Lab Module
    If getting the data back to the labs is not an option, you’ll now be able to get the lab itself to the data instead. With antennas not able to max out a subject anymore, the Lab Module will allow you to increase the max amount of science you get from transmitting, by giving your crews a way to run tests and analyze the experiment results ‘in the field’, before beaming it back home. Don’t expect this to be a compact piece of equipment though. In fact, not many parts are larger than the Lab at the moment.
  • EVA Data Transport
    With new ways to process experiment data, we’re also going to need new ways to move it around. EVAs will now be able to collect and store not only their own experiments, but also collect data from other modules and data containers, including other Kerbals on EVA.
  • Quite a lot of other stuff
    Overhauled UIs, 3D Mouse Support, Monopropellant-powered EVAs, Steerable landing gear, Secondary propellants for engines, more Biomes, and of course, hunting down some of the most critical long-standing bugs… The list goes on.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

So anyways, this was my toying around since this morning....

For some reason (I'm still not sure why) I was having a really hard time getting into orbit again. Finally nailed it. Fuel to spare (doubled my capacity from previous flights), so I corrected a maybe 20,000m difference in pro/apo to 4000m difference. Still lots of fuel to spare. So ultimately I decided to approach the mun. I wasn't sure exactly what to do, or how to do it. Ed gave me a brief rundown, but I wasn't feeling very confident. So ultimately I just made a large elliptical orbit which came a lot closer to the mun's orbit, and thought I'd go from there. So far so good. Got to the furthest point and decided to just target the mun, aim towards it on the nav ball and burn. And the following was the result.

I did run out of fuel, sadly. Bill does not seem impressed by this. I know he's scared about just floating around in space, but come on. It's the mun!

I am about to do a more educated jump to the mun. Sitting in an even more circular orbit at present (2500m difference).

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Alright, so I've got a man orbiting the mun!

So from Kerbal's orbit I shot for the mun, and didn't think I'd be able to make a mun orbit (though it was changing my Kerbal orbit). So I made an adjustment, and an approach I liked better. I realized after entering my maneuver to get into orbit around the mun that I probably could've managed some sort of orbit around the mun without that adjustment, but alas.
Sadly it wasn't as picturesque as I was hoping. Stupid sun made it difficult to see my mun approach.
This was my initial orbit. I corrected to make a better one.
A pretty picture.
Sadly my orbit is no longer so nice, as I intended to exit the mun's orbit and hoped to be able to land back on Kerbal*, but really misjudged how much fuel I had left, apparently. So my orbit now looks akin to the above one again.

*One of these days I'll bring one of these Kermen back to their wives** and children. Though Jebediah does seem to be thrilled to be endlessly circling the mun. The only time I've managed to bring them back safely has been when I didn't make good orbit. But really, who needs fuel?

**They are polygamists.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

You are all super nerds.

I'm so proud of you.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Thompwise did not go to the Mun that day.

Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I'm getting better at landing my gliders!

I'm still not too hot on taking off with actual planes:

gödel stop spreading fud

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I have created a Moon Roller.

It's not a Moon Rover.

Isn't it beautiful? It uses rolling torque to travel like two wheels on an axle. It gets 9m/s on Earth's surface, but I haven't sent it to the moon yet. Guess I'll find out how it goes then!

I gotta start reducing these images soon. Bloody hell.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

It's not that you need to reduce them, it's that you need to use an imagehost that isn't complete dogshit. Use Imgur instead of Imageshack.

gödel stop spreading fud

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I'll go and sign up now.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Turns out my roller is a useless piece of shit which hardly accelerates because it bounces too much and can't go uphill.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I haven't been doing much interesting, just launching shit to the Mun in order to do Science and kill time until the Duna window opens up and I can finally send my rescue mission. In the meantime, I've learned that my basic lifter has enough fuel to launch my lander to the Mun, circularize, and do final descent. I only ditch it on final descent because I don't have lights on my lander and so use it exploding against the ground as a depth sound.

I've been challenging myself by landing in different craters each time so I can get used to picking landing zones at non-optimal latitudes, and planting flags in each so I know where I've already been. A side-effect of using the Lifter as the descent stage is that I have an absurdly large amount of fuel to return to Kerbin with; so much so that I can pick my landing spot trivially.

But man, there is a lot of Science in the Mun. Looks like each large crater is its own biome, so you can get get all of your experiments at fresh returns. Three trips to three different craters has netted me enough Science to unlock all of the experiments, so my next trip out is going to be ridiculously profitable.

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I've been sending ships out to orbit the sun for big chunks of Science.

Their sacrifices have not been in vain.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I've started on something new.

When it's complete, I hope to physically grab space debris and parachute back to Earth with them!