Spoken Word.

For original creative work. For the love of Zach, read Rule 30.

Moderator: Kimra

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Spoken Word.

Post by DonRetrasado »

In all honesty I know next to nothing about Spoken Word. I have never even been to an open mic night, let alone performed. But I really want to get into this. I have an idea, albeit a bit of a high-concept one; basically, I'd be reading the poetry I've written, but yelling it out and giving it my personal idiosyncratic rhythm of speech. I'll post one piece that I wrote a while back with the intention of speaking to a crowd;
I am standing on a goddamn stage screaming my lungs out and I'm not convinced even one of you thinks about why that is let alone if I'm ruining my health, when all I do is cough up asthma and fluid trying to choke your fucking air out with my smog in vain hopes that you'll keep quiet for five seconds so I can get my head straight and think about how I'm going to eat tomorrow or how I'm going to keep myself from killing a man the next day, or if I'll ever know what it means to take a life that doesn't grow in rich bastards' organ gardens, or if I'll figure out if anything means anything even though I'm already convinced it doesn't and I am too fucking stubborn to ask for your piss-poor opinions so that you can ramble about an irrelevant idea for the next thirty minutes while my legs ache and my lungs ache and all I can think about is that I need more pills and maybe a drink or two to calm my nerves and break up the sentences that mate and miscarriage inside my skull just to tell you that my day was "all right" and I'm not in the pain and suffering I'm in that everyone seems to promise yet refuses to hear about as if my illness is somehow different, and my back doesn't ache in quite the same way, and my loneliness can't be killed by starting pointless fights at bars and losing teeth just to prove I've got the balls to rape a girl when I turn thirty and want to raise yet another fuck-up son so he can say the same things to me that I'm saying right now.
Yes, it is one sentence. Eventually I'll record it and post it on youtube I think since I'm not likely to go to an open-mic night in the next few months.

So. Um. What are your thoughts on spoken word?
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Re: Spoken Word.

Post by Amerika »

sounds like someone needs to get laid!

No but in all seriousness go for it except you need to buy a beret and a black turtleneck.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I think it needs to be spoken before it shines
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Because it's meant to be spoken, I shall wait for the youtube clip to pass judgement.
King Prawn

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I've never been to a spoken-word thing.
But even just reading that silently, it seems like something I'd imagine being read. Very raw.
Thanks for sharing... I'd like to hear you read it.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Amerika wrote:sounds like someone needs to get laid!

No but in all seriousness go for it except you need to buy a beret and a black turtleneck.
I can just turn my flatcap backwards. Technology!
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

But then you need to be straight illin'.

And you haven't even got the straight part yet.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Umm I think spoken word is decidedly straight. What's more manly than poetry and berets?

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

Woah who said anything about manliness? You can be as manly as you want, DR. What could be manlier than two men?

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, DR. It's like you didn't even watch the youtube video I posted.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Okay okay NEW TACTIC. Writing poetry makes me feminine and sensitive and not gay??

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

Poetry is pretty sensitive.

Like most gay people.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

HEY... This isn't fair!!

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

Fairness? Sounds like you want equality.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Not loading. la la la that means I can ignore it