Things I've researched for writing

For original creative work. For the love of Zach, read Rule 30.

Moderator: Kimra

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: Things I've researched for writing

Post by Kimra »

I heard about it on QI. That show is ultra useful. Anyway, I hope this is helpful for you. Link.

This map is interesting.

I realise these are all probably a little later in history than you want, but you can work backwards from that. :P
King Prawn

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I can take pictures of any particular street in London, if you like. I am working right by the capital B of Bishopsgate in Kimra's DickensMap, and most of the darker shaded City of London (The Square Mile) I can reach within a few minutes o' walking.

If you have any set in a pub, make sure it's the Cheshire Cheese. That's one of my favourite London pubs, and it's been relatively untouched since 1667 (the ceilings are really low, and there are many labyrinthine runnels and gulleys and split-floors, and the basement pub is highly dungeon-like), and walking around in it in 2011 would pretty much be identical to walking around in 1800. Perhaps the beer on tap has changed, but it's Sam Smiths beer, so you never know.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Now I want to go to this pub. England has great pubs.
King Prawn

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

They still use straw on the floor, sometimes, and the pub is mainly lit by candlelight, and the ambience of muffled voices from above and below, and scraping chairs on hard wood floors, is wonderful. It's like when the Hobbits entered the Prancing Pony for the first time, in that it's dark and brooding, except much more winding, nooky, narrow, and claustrophobic. The wood of the tables has decades of ale soaked into it, which sort of seals it like tarnished varnish, and creates a permeating, pungent, and somewhat pleasant aroma of hops and stale beer, combined with the tang of gas-lamp and the warm scent of gravy and roasting meats from the restaurant area upstairs. I wrote a story about it. It's very easy to imagine you've travelled back in time the moment you step inside its dingy, windowless corridor.

I've met a few People Of The Internet in there. Good times.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Felstaff wrote:I can take pictures of any particular street in London, if you like. I am working right by the capital B of Bishopsgate in Kimra's DickensMap, and most of the darker shaded City of London (The Square Mile) I can reach within a few minutes o' walking.

If you have any set in a pub, make sure it's the Cheshire Cheese. That's one of my favourite London pubs, and it's been relatively untouched since 1667 (the ceilings are really low, and there are many labyrinthine runnels and gulleys and split-floors, and the basement pub is highly dungeon-like), and walking around in it in 2011 would pretty much be identical to walking around in 1800. Perhaps the beer on tap has changed, but it's Sam Smiths beer, so you never know.
that would be incredibly helpful, just any streets so I have a feel for the place
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

There's also google maps street view...
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

And on Bing. With 90% less houses pixelated.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I just learned that Margaret Thatcher was part of the group that developed soft-serve ice cream.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

Jonathan is spelled 'Jonathan'
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Currently reading up on grimoires. Or at least what little information I can find on them.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Currently reading a book published by some commission about the Sacramento-San Joaquin river delta. Surprisingly well written for a book of policy recommendations published by faceless bureaucrats.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

The light spectrum and, um, something about sounds. Like, frequency or something. It was confusing.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

So really you didn't do that much research about it at all...
King Prawn

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

I've researched my family's genealogy all the way back to Scotland in the 1400's and subsequently researched what their lives were like, what language they spoke, etc.

Well, I'm in the process of that, anyway.
Never put off until tomorrow what you could get out of doing altogether.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I once wanted to research my families history. Turns out my granddad was a bastard and my grandmother was adopted. So no history at all really.
King Prawn