FAQ [For the less clever, answers are inside]

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: FAQ

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:You should go by last login date instead of postcount. The people who post in this forum also have a postcount of zero, e.g. this person: http://www.smbc-comics.com/smbcforum/vi ... 60#p120260
That was an artifact of me copying the permissions from the Outlands. Postcount is now incremented here, and besides it's easier for me to clear out postcount 0 people than it is to pick a date and clear from there.
Plus, do we really want to purge those who've wandered off, not yet to return? I mean, we now even have a thread about bringing back those who haven't posted in ages.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:That was an artifact of me copying the permissions from the Outlands. Postcount is now incremented here
shining2k1's postcount is still 0 and s/he will be deleted.
besides it's easier for me to clear out postcount 0 people than it is to pick a date and clear from there.
Laaazy.
Lethal Interjection wrote:Plus, do we really want to purge those who've wandered off, not yet to return? I mean, we now even have a thread about bringing back those who haven't posted in ages.
Ah, no. Combination of postcount = 0 and no logins in a long time.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Thank you, Edminster, for your hard work and making this dream a reality! :D

I see this as an experiment and I hope you all enjoy this forum! Otherwise, I look forward to your hate-PMs...kind of. :)

I figured the links from the comic pages would help bring new users into the forums and encourage them to comment. Splitting the discussion into topics about each individual comic is a way to keep things organized and relatively on topic. I figured talking about more general stuff about SMBC could be done in the main SMBC forum. I felt keeping all the comic commenting into one thread made things a bit hard to follow, even a little intimidating (I've been a longtime lurker myself), especially when the conversation is 291 pages long. There are obvious drawbacks from using this method of discussion based off of forum behavior given the diversity of things that could be discussed about a single comic. Either the discussion will be more lively or will become rather sparse. I'm hoping that with the large SMBC fan base, that this method will work. Only time will tell. So we will have to wait and see how this works out. If negative feedback is intense and activity is low, then I am sure that everything could be combined into one thread via the former method.

Please give it a shot and hopefully you will like it! :) Thanks again to Edminster and all those who participate in this forum! I look forward to reading your feedback. Cheers!

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:shining2k1's postcount is still 0 and s/he will be deleted.
Assuming it doesn't post again in the next eleven days, yes.
Astrogirl wrote:Laaazy.
Not sure why you think this bears mentioning, as it is quite a well-known fact.
Astrogirl wrote:Ah, no. Combination of postcount = 0 and no logins in a long time.
Again, easier for me to not pick an arbitrary date.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

If all things work out, what do you think of doing the same thing for individual SMBC Theater vids..or are comments better on Youtube?

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

We true posters will rise to member statusship tomorrow, and ye for the non-posters shall be duly left behind, as is their fate to be, they will burn in Edminster's fury come october this very year. Amen.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

*giggles*
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Quintushalls wrote:If all things work out, what do you think of doing the same thing for individual SMBC Theater vids..or are comments better on Youtube?
We could but there isn't much discussion of them here. And comments might be better suited for YouTube, but the comments themselves are certainly not better.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I can personally assure you of that, having often started shit between youtubers many a time. Posting something really offensively dumb on the topic of science or religion is like dropping blood into a pool full of sharks, only funnier. The participants aren't as smart, sociable or likely to be simian, either!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

GUTCHUCKER wrote:I can personally assure you of that, having often started shit between youtubers many a time. Posting something really offensively dumb on the topic of science or religion is like dropping blood into a pool full of sharks, only funnier. The participants aren't as smart, sociable or likely to be simian, either!
I've seldom posted comments, but I think at least half the time I've gotten ignorant, snarky, or otherwise unpleasant responses.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Sure you hadn't met me before I was on this forum?

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

There hasn't been a topic here with 0 replies and there has been a post on all new comics. Can we declare this a success? :)
Lethal Interjection wrote:
Quintushalls wrote:If all things work out, what do you think of doing the same thing for individual SMBC Theater vids..or are comments better on Youtube?
We could but there isn't much discussion of them here.
Maybe there is a reason for that. Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge. hmm?

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I don't get it. I shall blame the police.
FUCK THE POLICE.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Quintushalls wrote:There hasn't been a topic here with 0 replies and there has been a post on all new comics. Can we declare this a success? :)
That depends on your definition of success. It appears to have resulted in more posts about the comics, probably because the individual discussions do not get derailed as quickly when it was all lumped into one one thread and there are some new people to insult and argue with.

Not having to register does seem to make it more accessible to irregular forumites, but they still only account for about 20% of the posts in the new comic threads, with the We're #1 comic being by far the most popular. However, most of those people also do not actually engage in conversation. They say something and never come back. There were something like 23 people who only posted once and only 4 posted multiple times, three of those were in the We're #1 comic. Math geeks like to get the last word in I guess.

It does seem to make more more posting and seems to make it more accessible to people who just want to throw their two cents in and never engage in actual conversation, but I don't know if the quality of the conversation is all that much better. There is just more to read.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I declare this FAQ section as a rip-roaring success, however.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...