[2011-Jun-24] Ethical wars

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

nr22

[2011-Jun-24] Ethical wars

Post by nr22 »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2286

Genius comic,
now would you kill your friends for 12M points?

And what would happen if the capilatists take over?

Professor Lombardo the Amazing Double Penis

Re: Ethical wars [2011-Jun-24]

Post by Professor Lombardo the Amazing Double Penis »

No.

They already have.

ReggarBlane

Post by ReggarBlane »

Capitalists, nothing. What about ǧihādists? At least, Capitalists are independent and serve self-specified ethics instead of one single set of codes that everyone (including all others whether or not they agree) must follow that set of codes without any open thought to alternatives that could inspire people to grow and to face the good and bad consequences of their own actions and inactions instead of shifting the blame to some "system" or "religion" or "cult" as they're simply doing what they were told to do by other elitists who thought they knew better than everyone else. *inhales* I really need to learn how to split sentences better than I do.
"You can talk to people that won't listen, but they won't listen." "Never be ashamed of how you were born, but only what you do can ever be worthy of pride." "Ignorance is a choice. Innocence is correctable." It's all me.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

capitalists are jihadists whose battle cry is "fuck you, got mine", forcing all others to live by that code through economic oppression
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

gavin
A Disappointment.

Post by gavin »

Erie, I actually think this may be a work of foresight. Not necessarily the killing part, but I could totally see a life game catching hold. I mean, we already have stuff along those lines.
;-)

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

I tried using a system of points and achievements to make sure I stick to my workout schedule. It's scary how effective it is.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

gavin
A Disappointment.

Post by gavin »

Eisbreaker wrote:I tried using a system of points and achievements to make sure I stick to my workout schedule. It's scary how effective it is.
Human conditioning is a scary thing altogether.
;-)

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Good cartoon. A bit scary as also in my software company "gamification" (i.e. introduction of simple rewards systems for just about every activity in software and processes) is "a thing". It started last year, I think.
Edminster wrote:capitalists are jihadists whose battle cry is "fuck you, got mine", forcing all others to live by that code through economic oppression
Indeed.
gavin wrote:Human conditioning is a scary thing altogether.
What *is* the human condition?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

gavin
A Disappointment.

Post by gavin »

Astrogirl wrote:What *is* the human condition?
Coconut, usually.
;-)

Dan The Man

Post by Dan The Man »

So... I'm not the only one who thought this comic was an analogy for the flaws of modern organised religon? Where the 'game'= religion, 'designers'=clergy and 'players'=the masses/the congregation. And instead of 'points' you have 'eternal fire' and 'not eternal fire'.

gavin
A Disappointment.

Post by gavin »

Dan The Man wrote:So... I'm not the only one who thought this comic was an analogy for the flaws of modern organised religon? Where the 'game'= religion, 'designers'=clergy and 'players'=the masses/the congregation. And instead of 'points' you have 'eternal fire' and 'not eternal fire'.
This is a fundamental human flaw, it is just easily observed in religion. I could see many areas where this sort of scenario could play out. Political, philosophical, etc. Not sure that I'd read that much into it though. It is what it is.
;-)

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Dan The Man wrote:So... I'm not the only one who thought this comic was an analogy for the flaws of modern organised religon? Where the 'game'= religion, 'designers'=clergy and 'players'=the masses/the congregation. And instead of 'points' you have 'eternal fire' and 'not eternal fire'.
"All Modern Organised Religions Based On Abrahamic Traditions, Renaissance Thinking" Noted Theologian Claims
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Penthoplayer

Post by Penthoplayer »

We already have virtual reality suits that look similar. Only two differences: 1. They still need to be hooked up to a computer, and 2. The headpiece doesn't give an overlay to the world, but shows a virtual world.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Penthoplayer wrote:The headpiece doesn't give an overlay to the world ...
That technology exists already, though, in the form of Android and iPhone apps...
Our priorities are kinda sad.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I think you're the only one. How is "something something after death" in any way immediate? How does this "modern" "organised" religion in any way differ from old unorganised religions ... whatever these are?
Eisbreaker wrote:That technology exists already, though, in the form of Android and iPhone apps...
Our priorities are kinda sad.
What on earth is sad about this?!
Microaggression? Microaggression!