[2011-Jul-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby Sappheyes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Well, if you live in Florida (like I do) in the summer, showers twice a day seem like more of a necessity than an absurdity.
Sappheyes
 

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby Sahan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:56 am

Yes when living in very humid areas, it certainly does feel a lot better to shower a couple of times to feel properly refreshed, but I don't see why discussion about showers has become such a dominating topic in this thread.
Destructicus wrote:Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?
User avatar
Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby gavin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Guest wrote:This. I think complaints about "originality" in art are unbelievably pretentious. It's that line of thought that has brought us shallow shock art like Interior Semiotics. Utterly worthless, even for provoking thought or challenging norms.
That's a great point. "Different" isn't necessarily better or more legitimate.
;-)
gavin
A Disappointment.
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Florida

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby Eikinkloster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 am

Zach twitted this about this comic:

"Huh. People seem to be focusing on the waking part and not the dream in today's comic. It wasn't meant to be depressing :)"

I loved this comic. I think it's an excelent puzzle, and one solution is that Zach chose to draw only the mental images following the dream. I thought of it as I showered in the morning, drove to work and droned over my workstation that there were very vivid mental images following all those experiences too... the countryside while I'm driving, the Grid while I'm coding, and today even the very comic, which I discussed over with a co-worker.

But it still makes me feel that I should party harder.
User avatar
Eikinkloster
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 am
Location: Hy-Brasil

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby gavin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Eikinkloster wrote:Zach twitted this about this comic:

"Huh. People seem to be focusing on the waking part and not the dream in today's comic. It wasn't meant to be depressing :)"

I loved this comic. I think it's an excelent puzzle, and one solution is that Zach chose to draw only the mental images following the dream. I thought of it as I showered in the morning, drove to work and droned over my workstation that there were very vivid mental images following all those experiences too... the countryside while I'm driving, the Grid while I'm coding, and today even the very comic, which I discussed over with a co-worker.

But it still makes me feel that I should party harder.
Exactly! It's that a person living in mundanity (if I may abuse the word mundane) still has all that going on in their mind. Vivid and raw imagery. If anything, it is uplifting, so I understand Zach's frustration that it is being perceived as only depressing.
;-)
gavin
A Disappointment.
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Florida

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby DonRetrasado » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Artists are so sensitive.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby Apocalyptus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 am

Ah, the delicate constitution of a creative type.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby Eikinkloster » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:03 am

gavin wrote:Exactly! It's that a person living in mundanity (if I may abuse the word mundane) still has all that going on in their mind. Vivid and raw imagery. If anything, it is uplifting, so I understand Zach's frustration that it is being perceived as only depressing.


What I mean is that Zach's comic does give you the impression that the person *does not* have anything going through their mind as they drone through life like robots. I think it *is* depressing. It only ceases being depressive when it makes you think and (eventually) realize you are not droning through your life. Which is not always true. Many times I do drive to work barely noticing what is going on besides not ramming other cars.

On the other hand, *because* of it, I've been paying more attention on what I see during the day.

I prefer it the way Zach did, without spelling out that it *can* be that way, but doesn't *need* to be. On the other hand, it puzzles me that *he* didn't see it as depressing.
User avatar
Eikinkloster
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 am
Location: Hy-Brasil

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Postby gavin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Eikinkloster wrote:
gavin wrote:Exactly! It's that a person living in mundanity (if I may abuse the word mundane) still has all that going on in their mind. Vivid and raw imagery. If anything, it is uplifting, so I understand Zach's frustration that it is being perceived as only depressing.


What I mean is that Zach's comic does give you the impression that the person *does not* have anything going through their mind as they drone through life like robots. I think it *is* depressing. It only ceases being depressive when it makes you think and (eventually) realize you are not droning through your life. Which is not always true. Many times I do drive to work barely noticing what is going on besides not ramming other cars.

On the other hand, *because* of it, I've been paying more attention on what I see during the day.

I prefer it the way Zach did, without spelling out that it *can* be that way, but doesn't *need* to be. On the other hand, it puzzles me that *he* didn't see it as depressing.
Hmm, interesting. I've gone through days in the past on autopilot, so I understand what it feels like to drone. Such a piece could serve as a wake up call if considered as thoroughly as you have by such a drone. But that would create a sort of paradox, I guess. For a non-thinker to think really hard to get out of non-thinking.
;-)
gavin
A Disappointment.
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Florida

Previous

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests