[2011-Jul-13] I'm keeping it warm with my face!

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

[2011-Jul-13] I'm keeping it warm with my face!

Post by ChaoticBrain »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2305

Sorry for whipping out the gun so suddenly and pointing it at you, I was just really excited to gift it to you.

Robert

Re: (7-13-11) I'm keeping it warm with my face!

Post by Robert »

I remember a similar thing with the Flash in the Dark Knight Strikes Again where he was forced to run on some sort of hamster wheel generator. Also the Atom was imprisoned in a petri dish.

Chayes

Post by Chayes »

The votey today needs another votey that is also a masturbation joke

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Chayes wrote:masturbation joke
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

DocNasty

Post by DocNasty »

Didn't they do this in Red Son?

NumberFourtyThree

Post by NumberFourtyThree »

The biggest problem with that plan is that due to loss in transmission it isn't viable to generate all of the world's power at one location and send it everywhere. There would be too small a portion left when it got to the other end of the planet.

Also, even if there is no poverty induced crime, there would still be some violent crime motivated from other matters, like love affairs gone wrong or certain kinds of mental illness.

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

Post by ChaoticBrain »

NumberFourtyThree wrote:The biggest problem with that plan is that due to loss in transmission it isn't viable to generate all of the world's power at one location and send it everywhere. There would be too small a portion left when it got to the other end of the planet.

Also, even if there is no poverty induced crime, there would still be some violent crime motivated from other matters, like love affairs gone wrong or certain kinds of mental illness.
Why, it's almost like this comic isn't an accurate depiction of the real world at all!

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

NumberFourtyThree wrote:Also, even if there is no poverty induced crime, there would still be some violent crime motivated from other matters, like love affairs gone wrong or certain kinds of mental illness.
There's no correlation between mental illness and violent behaviour that can't be more appropriately linked to another factor like poverty or drug abuse. In fact, among schizophrenics, the rate of violent behaviour is lower than the general populace. The stigma against mental illness is much more dangerous than mental illness itself.

Anecdotally, I've worked in an area with a high rate of mental illness for almost three years and I've never personally had a problem with anyone. I have witnessed people harassing the mentally ill and causing problems that way, especially the police, who appear to do nothing else in this neighbourhood. I know about plenty of mentally ill and homeless that have been beat up/murdered around here.

I'm not aware of any statistics about "crimes of passion" however. I might imagine that the kind of person who lashes out like that may have other strains on their life including poverty but I don't really know anything about that.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

NumberFourtyThree

I'm aware most mentally ill people aren't violent. However you do hear occasional stories of someone suffering from delusions attacking someone (like that guy who shot Gabrielle Giffords for instance). There's also the matter of people classified as "psychopaths" (which is oddly often not officially classified as a mental illness). I'm just saying if you remove all economic incentive for crime that wouldn't be sufficient to stop stuff like that happening every so often, and Superman could catch it at the beginning with his super hearing and stop anyone from getting hurt.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

NumberFourtyThree wrote:There's also the matter of people classified as "psychopaths" (which is oddly often not officially classified as a mental illness).
You are very much incorrect on this point.

It's been renamed Antisocial Personality Disorder since like 1980 (although some argue that it's a subset, others that it's distinct, yadda yadda) but the point is that psychopathy has been a legit diagnosis for a long-ass time now.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Diagnosing psychopathy, sociopathy, ASPD and other related disorders is fraught with difficulty. The terms have been thrown around a lot and used in a lot of different ways. Barring that, there is a DSM-IV recognised disorder called Antisocial Personality Disorder, but a lot of people disagree if it is classified correctly (this, and many more DSM-IV controversies). Now, as you have correctly noted, ASPD is a huge indicator for violent or criminal behaviour; in fact, it's in the diagnosis itself. It might be more appropriate to say that violent people have ASPD, not the other way around. ASPD is also believed to be (at least partially) caused by environment. That is, people who have violent or criminal upbringings will frequently have violent or criminal behaviour in adulthood (along with the other criteria for ASPD). Then, is it too much to suggest that the strain of poverty in families and among youths leads to ASPD in adulthood? I think there's a lot of support for a conclusion like that. This, along with the fact that societies with less developed economies and no poverty (ex. hunter-gatherers) usually have a surprising dearth of violent crime, leads me to believe that violence is driven, by and large, by poverty (and overpopulation, and lack of resources, etc.; all these concepts are linked together). I am certain that there are other theories about the origin of violence but I am sticking by this one.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

NumberFourtyThree

As was said, matters are in dispute, and many experts claim that the classic definition of psychopathy is not the same thing as ASPD as it is currently defined. Also, it isn't entirely due to environmental causes, and there is evidence of a strong genetic factor. Also hunter-gatherer societies are not completely lacking in violence. They may have violence motivated by other factors, but the fact is when your community that you have frequent contact with only 200 people you will rarely encounter crime given worldwide typical crime rates. In addition, pre-modern hunter-gatherer societies were constantly at war with other tribes much of the time.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

NumberFourtyThree wrote:In addition, pre-modern hunter-gatherer societies were constantly at war with other tribes much of the time.
I'd bet dollars to donuts that much of the time it was about resource management.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

NumberFourtyThree wrote:Also hunter-gatherer societies are not completely lacking in violence. They may have violence motivated by other factors, but the fact is when your community that you have frequent contact with only 200 people you will rarely encounter crime given worldwide typical crime rates.
But you can't separate the increase in population from the necessary strain in resources. Violence also rarely results in actual murder in hunter-gatherer societies, as well. You may maintain that this is not an important distinction, or that it is entirely due to advances in technology. I maintain that it is entirely possible for a man sufficiently motivated to kill another with his own bare hands.

I'm a little deeper into this than I wanted to be, when my major contentions were "economic factors are a major cause of violence" and "the mentally ill suffer unwarranted stigma when it comes to violent behaviour". I do agree that it is probably impossible to eliminate violence (especially when, by my own admission, if resource management could be the sole culprit, then it will necessarily become worse as the population increases). I do believe that it could be significantly reduced by introducing measures to control poverty.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

NumberFourtyThree wrote:The biggest problem with that plan is that due to loss in transmission it isn't viable to generate all of the world's power at one location and send it everywhere. There would be too small a portion left when it got to the other end of the planet.
I would think the biggest problem with the plan is that superman is not real. Just sayin
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.