[2011-Aug-07] Actually, it's an octahedron.

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

[2011-Aug-07] Actually, it's an octahedron.

Post by ChaoticBrain »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2330

I find it weird that Fry of all people questions the reliability of a scientist's perspective.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Re: (07 August 2011) Actually, it's an octahedron.

Post by sotic »

Speaking of Time Cube (at least, that's what I think is being referenced here), there's a really funny shirt that I would get if I didn't already have too many shirts.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

I have totally seen scientists act like pundits.

"We haven't found the Higgs-Boson particle and our equipment keeps shutting down. hmm..."

Thinks for a minute.

"I know! Our future selves have sent a bird back in time to prevent us from continuing our research."

But-? But-? But-?

"It is known!" :geek:

Actual article: http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 70,00.html

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Nielsen counters that nature might allow a small number of Higgs to be produced by the Tevatron, but would prevent the production of the large number of particles the LHC is anticipated to produce. He also acknowledges that Higgs particles are probably produced in cosmic collisions, but says it's impossible to know whether nature has stopped a great deal of these collisions from happening. "It's possible that God avoids Higgs [particles] only when there are very many of them, but if there are a few, maybe He let's them go," he says.
Derp.

This is why religious (making an assumption here, he could very well be deist but what I am about to say likely still applies to that) people should, in my opinion, not deal in science. Religion and science are two fundamentally different approaches, the first seeks to prove an existing agenda by looking for evidence that fits, the latter seeks to find new answers based on evidence that exists.

I think you can see how Mr. Nielson's approach is fucking up our science. >:|
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

gavin
A Disappointment.

Post by gavin »

Eisbreaker wrote:
Nielsen counters that nature might allow a small number of Higgs to be produced by the Tevatron, but would prevent the production of the large number of particles the LHC is anticipated to produce. He also acknowledges that Higgs particles are probably produced in cosmic collisions, but says it's impossible to know whether nature has stopped a great deal of these collisions from happening. "It's possible that God avoids Higgs [particles] only when there are very many of them, but if there are a few, maybe He let's them go," he says.
Derp.

This is why religious (making an assumption here, he could very well be deist but what I am about to say likely still applies to that) people should, in my opinion, not deal in science. Religion and science are two fundamentally different approaches, the first seeks to prove an existing agenda by looking for evidence that fits, the latter seeks to find new answers based on evidence that exists.

I think you can see how Mr. Nielson's approach is fucking up our science. >:|
Wait... he uses Nature and God synonymously?
;-)

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

I'd say that "God" is, in this case, a metaphor for nature, e.g. God abhors a vacuum.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

sotic wrote:I'd say that "God" is, in this case, a metaphor for nature, e.g. God abhors a vacuum.
I wouldn't say God is nature. In science, I would say God is a metaphor for the unknown.

"What happened before the big bang? God or something..."