[2011-Aug-16] Zach Weiner: Graph Master

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[2011-Aug-16] Zach Weiner: Graph Master

Postby ckikilwai » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:13 pm

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2339

I don't get todays comic, can somebody explain?
ckikilwai
 

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby smiley_cow » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:41 pm

I think Zach is saying that people who act like idiots while fighting for their movement discourage intelligent people from joining. As the number of crazies in a movement go up, the number of intelligent people who want to join go down.

I personally disagree with the comic (which I wasn't going to bother mentioning until I read this thread), I think the bigger a social movement is, the more extremists tend to join. And even if they're a fringe group, and have very little to do with movement as a whole, they're what usually gets highlighted by the media. And if people go by just these bias media* reports, it can turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Which is a good way to turn a good movement into a bad one and why people should learn to take it all with a grain of Nackle.

Highlighting the crazier members of any movement (whether they even really exist or not) is also a common tactic for people who want to discredit said movement. Truly intelligent people, I think, are the ones that actually take the time to look below the surface and take the time to actually properly understand the movement to decide whether to join or not instead of just taking for granted what the media is showing you.

Not that there aren't any movements that I strongly disagree with, but I disagree with them based on what the movement itself and their leaders are actually doing and saying, and not because I was watching some 24 hour news station where they interviewed a random member who really didn't seem to understand how the world worked. But if you judge every movement by their worst members, you're just not going to have anything to believe in left at the end of the day.

*When I say bias media I mean media that is bias towards sensationalism, not bias one way or another politically.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby ckikilwai » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:44 pm

So the x axis represents the number of members?
But wouldn't that just mean Zach prefers smaller movements over larger ones?
Also why would somebody be a bigger asshole if he has a lower IQ?

Damn it Zach, you are confusing me!!
ckikilwai
 

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby ericgrau » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Ah to be blissful and naive. Small organizations are full of dumbasses too. Not that it changes the point at all.
ericgrau
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby DonRetrasado » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm

For some reason, the loudest ones are always the ones you hear.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby YellowKeys » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 pm

I had to edit this post because I commented on the wrong comic. I don't know how the heck I viewed the wrong one and thought it was today's. I'm think my brain just malfunctioned. It needs more coffee... Anyways, apologies on that one.

But anyway, I'm not sure how the graph would be hard to get. I think the comics on SMBC are pretty straightforward, and that's even when I'm kind of brain dead.

More people = more assholes. Few people = intelligent but low on membership. Every group has to come to its unhappy median, and so movements get stupider as they get larger.

I'm still going to hold onto my hope for humanity, and think that no one would be thoroughly confused by the comic.
Last edited by YellowKeys on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
YellowKeys
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby HardKase » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:13 pm

What does he think this is, XKCD?
HardKase
 

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby Edminster » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 pm

YellowKeys wrote:More people = more assholes. Few people = intelligent but low on membership. Every group has to come to its unhappy median, and so movements get stupider as they get larger.

There is a critical flaw in this line of thinking. Kids at home, can YOU spot it?
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud
User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
 
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby Kimra » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 pm

There are some small groups of people who are pretty dumb. If this logic holds... they get dumber as the group gets bigger? I am terrified, truly terrified.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby bzh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 am

I disagree fundamentally with Zach's premise that intelligent people are less assholish. In my experience, the more intelligent someone is, the bigger of an asshole they are.
bzh
 

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby sotic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:06 am

bzh wrote:I disagree fundamentally with Zach's premise that intelligent people are less assholish. In my experience, the more intelligent someone is, the bigger of an asshole they are.

The chart isn't correlating intelligence with dickishness in general; only in the case of social movements.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault
User avatar
sotic
[Insert Here]
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:55 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby Quintushalls » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:19 am

Well, they have XKCD and Explain XKCD.
Quintushalls
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby YellowKeys » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:19 am

Edminster wrote:
YellowKeys wrote:More people = more assholes. Few people = intelligent but low on membership. Every group has to come to its unhappy median, and so movements get stupider as they get larger.

There is a critical flaw in this line of thinking. Kids at home, can YOU spot it?


I thought that the graph was a joke that's speaking about large groups in general... And generally, a larger group has a greater chance of assholes simply because there are more people. Percentage-wise, a smaller group may have more assholes in it, but it probably won't win in the head count. 10% of a million people > 10% of 10 people. Meanwhile, as the group gets larger, people act stupider. Hence why there's mob mentality, herd behavior, crowd psychology, etc. That's even inspired quotes like, "The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its least intelligent member divided by the number of people in the mob." (from Maskerade by Terry Pratchett; a good and funny author) Movements are different than mobs, again generally speaking, but irrational and 'us vs. them' thinking resembles mob-thinking. As groups get larger they tend to go towards that, and so there's an unhappy compromise: get bigger and deal with a drop in IQ, or stay tiny and keep the average IQ up.

So, I'm not sure why you quoted what I said. I think I'm being logical but I'm also tired today, so I know I may be missing something. (o~o)
User avatar
YellowKeys
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby Edminster » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 am

Alright I'll give you a better hint.
YellowKeys wrote:Few people = intelligent but low on membership.

YellowKeys wrote:stay tiny and keep the average IQ up.

Image
Image

By your arguments (and the argument of the comic), the WBC is smarter and less assholish than the SMBC Fanclub (taken as an aggregate).
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud
User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
 
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Everyone who complains about the comics just don't get t

Postby Lethal Interjection » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:23 am

I don't like this comic. It comes off as really elitist.

Quintushalls wrote:Well, they have XKCD and Explain XKCD.


Yeah, but XKCD comes up with a lot more obscure things than Zach does.
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Next

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 10 guests