[2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby Rockchurch » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:59 am

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2358

I really like this one as well, Zach.

It reminds me a bit of the way Bill Watterson would philosophize through the eyes of youth.
Rockchurch
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:59 am

It reminds me of the way Zach won't shut the fuck up about how everything is meaningless/mechanical/irrelevant, it's really not something I want sprung on me in between jokes.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby DonRetrasado » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:14 am

GUTCHUCKER wrote:It reminds me of the way Zach won't shut the fuck up about how everything is meaningless/mechanical/irrelevant, it's really not something I want sprung on me in between jokes.

Why does that bother you?
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby Gangler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:15 am

The comic needs to be about these two characters from now on. Fuck every comic existing independent of the rest, these two are ideally suited for every single joke that Zach has ever done ever. They must tell all the jokes from now on.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.
User avatar
Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby James » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 pm

DonRetrasado wrote:
GUTCHUCKER wrote:It reminds me of the way Zach won't shut the fuck up about how everything is meaningless/mechanical/irrelevant, it's really not something I want sprung on me in between jokes.

Why does that bother you?


As a Christian it annoys me for it's outwardly atheist tendencies. You're an athiest, wow great! Shut up and grow up.
James
 

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby Gangler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:47 pm

>Spends time reading a diehard athiest's mouthpiece
>Ohnoes! So much of this doesn't conform to my own beliefs!

Packaged in a drive-by comment that immediately begins to go in to your Christian thoughts and concerns. I know nothing about you right now except that you're Christian and you're upset about non-christian messagery in this comic. One hundred percent of what you've told me is Christianity related. I find this delicious.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.
User avatar
Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby smiley_cow » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm not sure Zach's depressing outlook is necessarily an atheist thing. I know a lot of atheists who do a lot better at finding meaning in little things than Zach does. I think Zach may just be overly pragmatic.

Also I still think sex is pretty gross; I think this comic may have been lost on me.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby Gangler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 pm

From a perspective that views this update as overtly atheist and feels that Zach's work is overly saturated with atheist messagery I'm sure Zach is remarkably atheist.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.
User avatar
Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby smiley_cow » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Gangler wrote:From a perspective that views this update as overtly atheist...


Is it though? I mean whether people are programmed to eventually turn sexual from pure biology, or whether a divine being purposely programmed us that way, it doesn't actually change the comic at all. I don't think this is a statement on religion vs science so much as it is a statement on free will vs instinct.

Certainly Zach is an atheist, and that probably plays a large part in how he conceptualizes these types of matters, and I'm sure most religious people tend to look at this aspect of human biology differently, but I don't think religion actually has much to do with this particular comic. It's just the point of view of someone who just happens to be an atheist.

tl;dr: The atheism most likely informs the viewpoint, but the viewpoint isn't a purely atheist one.

...and feels that Zach's work is overly saturated with atheist messagery I'm sure Zach is remarkably atheist.


I'm not denying that there are definitely atheistic themes throughout SMBC. There are. I'm just saying that I think Zach's outlook on life tends to be especially on the practical/logical side, even for an atheist.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby DonRetrasado » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm a Christian and I actually share Zach's overly pragmatic and mechanical view on life, so I'd say they're definitely not mutually exclusive. On the other hand, I can see why it'd bore people (ex. me) 'cause frankly it's just not gonna be funny every day. This ain't Calvin and Hobbes, for certain.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby Gangler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:02 pm

smiley_cow wrote:
Gangler wrote:From a perspective that views this update as overtly atheist...


Is it though? I mean whether people are programmed to eventually turn sexual from pure biology, or whether a divine being purposely programmed us that way, it doesn't actually change the comic at all. I don't think this is a statement on religion vs science so much as it is a statement on free will vs instinct.

I'm trying to lampoon this guy's ridiculous complaint. Either I'm terrible at this (a definite probability), or you're being a buzzkill (our history indicates this is probably not so).

But yeah. There's nothing atheist about this comic. The notion that it says anything contrary to the Christian God alone would be a huge stretch, and it certainly says nothing contrary to there being a god at all.

smiley_cow wrote:Certainly Zach is an atheist, and that probably plays a large part in how he conceptualizes these types of matters, and I'm sure most religious people tend to look at this aspect of human biology differently, but I don't think religion actually has much to do with this particular comic. It's just the point of view of someone who just happens to be an atheist.

It does nothing but acknowledge established biological knowledge that even the craziest of fundies wouldn't deny. Puberty comes with a shipment of hormones that effect the way you think. Christians are still aware of the birds and the bees, to say nothing of every other religion. I can't even begin to describe how far from atheist or even nonchristian this is.

smiley_cow wrote:tl;dr: The atheism most likely informs the viewpoint, but the viewpoint isn't a purely atheist one.

So he's actually a confirmed atheist then? I haven't read the newsposts in ages. Didn't know that.

smiley_cow wrote:
...and feels that Zach's work is overly saturated with atheist messagery I'm sure Zach is remarkably atheist.


I'm not denying that there are definitely atheistic themes throughout SMBC. There are. I'm just saying that I think Zach's outlook on life tends to be especially on the practical/logical side, even for an atheist.

I'd go farther and say there's nothing he's stated in any comic ever that can only be appreciated by an atheist.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.
User avatar
Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: [2011-Sep-04] Mechanical Beings

Postby smiley_cow » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Gangler wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:
Gangler wrote:From a perspective that views this update as overtly atheist...


Is it though? I mean whether people are programmed to eventually turn sexual from pure biology, or whether a divine being purposely programmed us that way, it doesn't actually change the comic at all. I don't think this is a statement on religion vs science so much as it is a statement on free will vs instinct.

I'm trying to lampoon this guy's ridiculous complaint. Either I'm terrible at this (a definite probability), or you're being a buzzkill (our history indicates this is probably not so).

But yeah. There's nothing atheist about this comic.


Ah. Yeah, I think I misinterpreted what you were saying.


So he's actually a confirmed atheist then? I haven't read the newsposts in ages. Didn't know that.


I'm pretty sure he's said before he's an atheist. Though it's possible I'm mistaken.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies


Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests