[2011-Sep-21] Technical Truths

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Nathanyel

[2011-Sep-21] Technical Truths

Post by Nathanyel »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2375#comic

Well, humanity is like that, always taking things to the extreme. If something is considered to be "good", more of it obviously has to be "better".

PS Is there an official title to the comics? Because I just made this one up. Can find nothing in the strip pages or the archive.

Rational

Re: [2011-Sep-21] Technical Truths

Post by Rational »

I'm not gay but there's a lot of gay actors/comedians and I'm like "Yeah, they're pretty good at what they do".

Is that because they're gay? Yes.

Osmedirez

Post by Osmedirez »

Why does this break my mind? This is pretty much the entire reason that I feel like the US is doomed. (not the gay thing, the overreactionarinisticalism)

Nathanyel

Post by Nathanyel »

Don't worry, it's not just the US.
Every caucasian seems to think: "Having a tan in summer is healthy and prevents sunburn - great, let's fry our hides in a solarium all year!" (ok that's not the only reason, but the first you might hear when you ask them about it)

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Zach might know some economics, but he doesn't know the field. Theory always trumps statistical coincidences amongst economists.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Actually playing both sides of the field and robbing everyone blind is the real way of the economist.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

CaptainJester42

Post by CaptainJester42 »

Wasn't Sparta pretty gay?

Nathanyel

Post by Nathanyel »

CaptainJester42 wrote:Wasn't Sparta pretty gay?
Ancient Rome and Greece (and thus Sparta) probably had a similar gay percentage as today's average western society, as far as I know it was not forbidden, but also not usually publicly mentioned. Of course, the number of "openly gay people" had a dramatic decay once Christianity took the field, so yes, compared to that, these nations were pretty gay.

PS: I think you may mean the notorious stories of men that were not only interested in men, but very young men. As these young men were usually slaves, the neighborhood watch didn't care at all.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Nathanyel wrote:Don't worry, it's not just the US.
Every caucasian seems to think: "Having a tan in summer is healthy and prevents sunburn - great, let's fry our hides in a solarium all year!" (ok that's not the only reason, but the first you might hear when you ask them about it)
Every Caucasian?*

*I think you might be part of the problem**
**It's okay though, we are all part of the problem
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Nathanyel

Post by Nathanyel »

as in pale white* person.

*If I was part of the problem, wouldn't I use the A word? :P

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Zach's president is so unrealistic. Nobody would ever be president with a beard, people don't trust bearded people. There's a reason basically every politician everywhere is clean shaven.

Also glad to see DADT is finally gone. Now if the US just let transgendered people serve and let women serve active combat they'd be all set. :)

Edit: fixed a typo
Last edited by smiley_cow on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, you could do that in a world before television and having staff dedicated to making you come across as electable as possible. Television completely changed the game.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

I was always under the impression that Abe was prez because of the beard, not despite it.

I mean look at it. It's glorious.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Eisbreaker wrote:I was always under the impression that Abe was prez because of the beard, not despite it.

I mean look at it. It's glorious.
What most people don't know is that Lincolns beard was actually sentient, and did most of the presidential stuff. Lincoln himself just happened to have attached himself to it and rode it's coat-tails.*

Also, @nathanyell, there are no titles as far as I know. They've all just been made up by the thread's authors.

*Not unlike virtually every VP and most cabinet ministers.