[2011-Oct-24] Fourier-it!

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Elbereth

[2011-Oct-24] Fourier-it!

Post by Elbereth »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2407

Am I the only one who wants to apply a Fourier transform to that graph to find out the periodicity? Please tell me I'm not the only one... science-derived insanity feels lonely :(

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: [2011-Oct-20] Fourier-it!

Post by Edminster »

the newspost wrote:Whee! I got a lot of requests for graph jokes at NYCC. So, here ya go.
welp it's settled the reason SMBC is shit is because the rabid fans are shit and demand it
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

NR22

Post by NR22 »

Edminster wrote:
the newspost wrote:Whee! I got a lot of requests for graph jokes at NYCC. So, here ya go.
welp it's settled the reason SMBC is shit is because the rabid fans are shit and demand it
The people demand graph and dick jokes.

Comicwise, as if cats needed more reason to feel superior to their owners. now they bring in the paycheck...

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Elbereth wrote:Am I the only one who wants to apply a Fourier transform to that graph to find out the periodicity? Please tell me I'm not the only one... science-derived insanity feels lonely :(
I can help you with that.
It's not periodic.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Elbereth wrote:Am I the only one who wants to apply a Fourier transform to that graph to find out the periodicity? Please tell me I'm not the only one... science-derived insanity feels lonely :(
Yes. Something is wrong with you. Very, very wrong with you. I recommend you take up drinking. It seems to help all the engineers, mathematicians and scientists I know not be like you.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

I came up with a fairly simple approximation for the men's curve. Wolfram Alpha spat out its Fourier coefficients and I never NOPE'd so hard in my life.

I mean I guess I could use TI-BASIC to numerically approximate them but I don't really care any more. Must be the drinking.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

K^2

Post by K^2 »

I can't help by feel that people are looking at the wrong comic. Check the date.

Though, on topic of cat-man-woman graph, is anyone else bothered by the fact that men and women curves don't meet half-way up, and cat graph doesn't reach 100% even when men and women curves bottom out? Something like 10% became unaccounted before the internet and through the rise of catonomy. Who earns these 10%? Is it the roaches? Should I start charging them rent?

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

K^2 wrote:I can't help by feel that people are looking at the wrong comic. Check the date.
Ha! Welp, I guess that's what happens when people use a title that has fuck all to do with the strip in question days after it ran.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Also, the idea that a people can be "without culture" is rather absurd.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: [2011-Oct-24] Fourier-it!

Post by Kimra »

Well that's all too confusing for me to handle. So I've changed it to the cat graph comic since that's what everyone but the first post was talking about anyway. Links make the world go round people.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2404 Is what he/she/it* was talking about, but I'm sticking with the majority.

*I'm no sexist!
King Prawn

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Oh. Well what do you know, what one is periodic.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I'm not sure what culture is, but I don't think I have any.
'Cept for those bacteria making my armpits stink when I'm sweaty, I guess?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

NR22

Post by NR22 »

K^2 wrote:
Though, on topic of cat-man-woman graph, is anyone else bothered by the fact that men and women curves don't meet half-way up, and cat graph doesn't reach 100% even when men and women curves bottom out? Something like 10% became unaccounted before the internet and through the rise of catonomy. Who earns these 10%? Is it the roaches? Should I start charging them rent?
Cat food companies.