[2011-Oct-30] Market Forces

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Re: [2011-Oct-30] Market Forces

Post by In Jam »

Thanks Eisbreaker, it's nice to know that there are civilised people on the internet.

Anon21

Post by Anon21 »

So, just stopping by to say: the poor aren't, like, a separate nation. They don't have some kind of hermetically sealed agriculture industry that's segregated off from the rest of society. I get that the strip was just going for a joke playing off Christian charity and international development economics or whatever, but it the bridge between your two concepts is as nonsensical as "the domestic poor textiles industry," it's just gonna distract from the humor.

(And yes, I get that ZACH DOESN'T READ THE FORUMS. But like most criticism, the point is not actually to change the original work, it's just to express one reaction.)

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Hey, I just want to throw out there that I don't dislike Zach at all. I don't find his every work amusing to the point of distraction, but I certainly don't dislike the man.*

*you fools, if he ever catches on he'll close us down!
King Prawn

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

We wouldn't be here if we didn't like the comic at one point or another.
You can think of this forum as a memorial to Funny Zach, peace be upon him.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

Anon21 wrote:So, just stopping by to say: the poor aren't, like, a separate nation. They don't have some kind of hermetically sealed agriculture industry that's segregated off from the rest of society. I get that the strip was just going for a joke playing off Christian charity and international development economics or whatever, but it the bridge between your two concepts is as nonsensical as "the domestic poor textiles industry," it's just gonna distract from the humor.

(And yes, I get that ZACH DOESN'T READ THE FORUMS. But like most criticism, the point is not actually to change the original work, it's just to express one reaction.)
Please stay

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Anon21 wrote:So, just stopping by to say: the poor aren't, like, a separate nation. They don't have some kind of hermetically sealed agriculture industry that's segregated off from the rest of society. I get that the strip was just going for a joke playing off Christian charity and international development economics or whatever, but it the bridge between your two concepts is as nonsensical as "the domestic poor textiles industry," it's just gonna distract from the humor.
I like this. This is valid criticism.

By extension I like you, and wish you would stay.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Right

Post by Right »

Clearly, you are not getting enough hate mail.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

Right wrote:Clearly, you are not getting enough hate mail.
I have highlighted the mistake, but I am not going to say what it is.

ScottBieser

Post by ScottBieser »

Okay, I get it, Zach doesn't read the forum. I've been reading SMBC for a bit more than a year, and this is my first time in the forum, and I must say, after looking around a bit, I don't blame him.

Somebody, I think it was In Jam, wanted to know where I get my "wisdom." I got what I know from a decade of reading a lot of books, and watching events unfold across 5 decades of my lifespan, but if you're looking for a place to start, there is Economics In One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt (download pdf for free at http://www.fee.org/pdf/books/Economics_ ... lesson.pdf), or if you're ready for a scholarly treatment, try Man, Economy and State by Murray Rothbard (again, free for downloading at http://mises.org/books/mespm.pdf ).

KKoro

Post by KKoro »

So, just stopping by to say: the poor aren't, like, a separate nation. They don't have some kind of hermetically sealed agriculture industry that's segregated off from the rest of society. I get that the strip was just going for a joke playing off Christian charity and international development economics or whatever, but it the bridge between your two concepts is as nonsensical as "the domestic poor textiles industry," it's just gonna distract from the humor.
That, and the rabbi wasn't, in any way, trying to create a sustainable model. Christian charity isn't supposed to keep you alive in "this life", there's even an old woman who's praised for giving her last three pennies to the temple.

The lesson was about releasing all claim the person has to "their things", and putting them in the spirit of compassion. It's not supposed to work on Earth, and it makes no sense for the comic to claim that it was merely an oversight. It's like making a joke that the guy throwing his toaster in the tub should've remembered to read the warning labels.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

ScottBieser wrote:Somebody, I think it was In Jam, wanted to know where I get my "wisdom."

You realise I was asking where you got the wisdom to know giving away all your stuff wasn't sustainable? And that I was also making fun of you for pointing out this fact?

I'm sorry. I guess it's true what they say about the synch-up.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

ScottBieser wrote:Okay, I get it, Zach doesn't read the forum. I've been reading SMBC for a bit more than a year, and this is my first time in the forum, and I must say, after looking around a bit, I don't blame him.
It's cute that you think Zach doesn't come because of your limited grasp of this forum.
I mean you are right about the forum, kind of.
But the forum is like this because Zach doesn't read it, not the other way around.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

True. This forum needs a father figure in its life.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Ed's not a father figure? Oh god, all along that's what I thought was happening, what do I do now?
King Prawn

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Eat bagel
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.