[2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Gruest » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:12 pm

I actually enjoyed today's comic, despite it featuring Zach's signature Child-Who-Knows-A-Lot-About-An-Academic-Subject-At-The-Expense-Of-An-Adult's-Dignity-Or-Convenience character.

Here's why -

  • First of all, there was an actual joke.
  • The joke was funny (or at least airtight) and concise. The premise, albeit stupid, is set up and reasonably paced over two panels, and the punchline, derived from the plausible believability of child's misunderstanding, is delivered in the third panel. Done.
  • It made no effort educate the reader about Zach's worldview. This is good, because the parts of his worldview he makes into comics are either stupid or have been made into comics so many times that there's no way any comic of Zach's featuring them could be funny (Existential angst is our man on both accounts).
  • There aren't any trite strawman satires of creationists/politicians/anti-science proponents ["What's the difference?" joke here].

Zach doesn't read this forum.
Gruest
 

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Gruest » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:19 pm

I'll add "...potentially amusing because it is..." directly after "...,and the punchline,..."
Gruest
 

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby In Jam » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:03 pm

You are good please do two things.

1. Stay Cool
2. Register

I am racist against the unregistered posters, this guy's one of the good ones.
User avatar
In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Edminster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:14 pm

Gruest wrote:I actually enjoyed today's comic, despite it featuring Zach's signature Child-Who-Knows-A-Lot-About-An-Academic-Subject-At-The-Expense-Of-An-Adult's-Dignity-Or-Convenience character.

Here's why -

  • First of all, there was an actual joke.
  • The joke was funny (or at least airtight) and concise. The premise, albeit stupid, is set up and reasonably paced over two panels, and the punchline, derived from the plausible believability of child's misunderstanding, is delivered in the third panel. Done.
  • It made no effort educate the reader about Zach's worldview. This is good, because the parts of his worldview he makes into comics are either stupid or have been made into comics so many times that there's no way any comic of Zach's featuring them could be funny (Existential angst is our man on both accounts).
  • There aren't any trite strawman satires of creationists/politicians/anti-science proponents ["What's the difference?" joke here].

Zach doesn't read this forum.


This post was made by and handsome and virile person, who we should all look to for Good Opinions.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud
User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
 
Posts: 8837
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:21 am

I love the terrified look on the child's face.
HE'S CAPABLE OF ANYTHING.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Gruest » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:16 am

I'm surprised my little review went over so well; the diction could use some work.
User avatar
Gruest
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:02 am

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Jiro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:04 am

I'm facing a dilemma. On one hand, Gruest, you're pretty cool. On the other hand, you're a newbie and therefore a threat to my position as best newbie at this current time. And on the other hand, I don't know where did this third hand come from oh my god help me
User avatar
Jiro
Carbon copy
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:56 am
Location: Ausland

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Edminster » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:09 am

Jiro wrote:On the other hand, you're a newbie and therefore a threat to my position as best newbie at this current time.

don't worry you never had this position
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud
User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
 
Posts: 8837
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby In Jam » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 am

Wow Jiro, you should feel like a great weight has lifted from your shoulders.
User avatar
In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Jiro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:12 pm

That is a great relief. Now I can resume my true position as the token Australian. Wait...

I don't even do anything that you guys haven't got covered. Are any of you pyromaniacs? How about insomniacs? I'll settle for the token psycho, if that's all that's left.
User avatar
Jiro
Carbon copy
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:56 am
Location: Ausland

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 pm

How can you be the token Australian if there's heaps of us?
Psycho is very, very taken. I'm a pyromaniac, but not a practitioner, so maybe...?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Eisbreaker » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:17 pm

I got all those three covered, so it's cool.

I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one either.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.
User avatar
Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 am

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby In Jam » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Hey, how about you be the guy who appropriates mental illnesses to make himself sound quirky?


I love quirky people.
User avatar
In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby DonRetrasado » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Borderline disorder. Hilarious.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm bipolar because I think that's a license to be an unpredictable dick at times, and wallow in self pity when I'm not. Also, when I do or say something nonsensical or illogical, it's because I'm quirky.

Contemporary romantic comedies have taught me many things.
Guest
 

Next

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests