[2011-Nov-23] Polygamy math

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

isthisausername

[2011-Nov-23] Polygamy math

Post by isthisausername »

I'm offended. How can 87.5% disapprove? I counted 9 parents, not 8! 7 out of 8 disapproving would match - how can you get that from 9 parents?
No opinion? Doesn't matter, they'd still count. Very disappointed in this.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Re: [2011-Nov-23] Polygamy math

Post by Sahan »

You're right! This is unacceptable! A good throw-away joke is worthless if it doesn't stand up to nitpicking. Being mathematically correct however, is hilarious. Thank you isthisausername, for opening our eyes! Your superior understanding of comedy is an asset to us all!
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

MisterChillyitis

Post by MisterChillyitis »

I agree with Isthisausername. If you're going to make a joke using numbers, the numbers had better be right.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Amazing, this thread is just like every other comic discussion thread!
...Good times
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

isthisausername wrote:Hey! I've recently learnt the magic of converting percentages into fractions, and when putting my amazing mathematical skills to the test on this comic, I realised that Zach pulled the number out of his arse rather than calculating it like nerdy pedant! Had he managed to take the extra step of making the punchline say something like 'Eighty eight point eight recurring percent of us disapprove, according to an informal survey I have conducted since your confession with a sample of 9 parents, myself included', I would have laughed heartily! Alas, when it comes to comedy, I find hilarity is no subsitute for accuracy, and so there was no way I could have found this funny. And I know a thing or two about being funny! After all, I learned how to do basic maths.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

This thread eerily reminds me of the recent one about the relationship mishap.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Calem

Post by Calem »

Sahan wrote:
isthisausername wrote:Hey! I've recently learnt the magic of converting percentages into fractions, and when putting my amazing mathematical skills to the test on this comic, I realised that Zach pulled the number out of his arse rather than calculating it like nerdy pedant! Had he managed to take the extra step of making the punchline say something like 'Eighty eight point eight recurring percent of us disapprove, according to an informal survey I have conducted since your confession with a sample of 9 parents, myself included', I would have laughed heartily! Alas, when it comes to comedy, I find hilarity is no subsitute for accuracy, and so there was no way I could have found this funny. And I know a thing or two about being funny! After all, I learned how to do basic maths.
I don't think he pulled the number out of his ass. Since 7/8 is 0.875 while 9 parents are mentioned in the text I think he either meant there to be 8 and wrote and extra mom or thought he had writen in 8 parents.

Still, I agree that it doesn't matter, I was amused before being inspired to take out a calculator and am still in principle amused (including at the fact this topic exists and I am posting in it)

Calem

Post by Calem »

Or he forgot one of his wives...fun times

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

Maybe the father doesn't get a vote. Maybe he is just a conduit.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

You don't get to vote if you're underaged, so that's another explanation right there.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Eisbreaker wrote:You don't get to vote if you're underaged, so that's another explanation right there.
I think we have a winner!
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Nerd

Post by Nerd »

Step 1: Accuracy

LORD RACIST SATAN

Post by LORD RACIST SATAN »

Eisbreaker wrote:You don't get to vote if you're underaged, so that's another explanation right there.
I was actually going to make a comment about the opinion of one of the women being irrelevant for some reason or another, but your explanation is more than sufficient.

Also, considering the high number of children one would have with that many wives and a religion that preaches the virtues of breeding like rabbits, you would think these families have to deal with that more often per family.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Maybe someone abstained?

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I seem to remember a comic where some guy was standing in front of a crowd of people on a couch and saying something like "Mom, Dad, Dad, Mom, Dad, Robodad, I have a confession... I'm only gay."

I thought it was SMBC, but I couldn't find it in the archives. Does it sound familiar to anyone else?
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.