[2011-Dec-01]

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

noebyus

[2011-Dec-01]

Post by noebyus »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=2448#comic

hahahahahahaha

(I had a delay of about 2 seconds, then I got it)

true_fan_of_six

Re: [2011-Dec-01]

Post by true_fan_of_six »

57721<3

hicksw

Post by hicksw »

Four out of three readers hissed.

NocTs

Post by NocTs »

Ahh I don't get it!

ssl0th

Post by ssl0th »

true_fan_of_six wrote:57721<3
Ah, that was a hint that it was a chromosome joke. Haploid are sets of 3 and diploid are sets of 4. Clever.

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

Explain at once or I shall burn the village to the ground!

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

The comic made more sense than you guys

oh...

Post by oh... »

Here I thought it was a 1984 joke. :(

dasc

Post by dasc »

there is a lot of stuff it could be, including a reference to one of the much earlier comics.

Post by Guest »

(4) words for you
4 = 3
(3) words for you

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Guest wrote:(4) words for you
4 = 3
(3) words for you
That's what I figured at first but I've come to expect awful jokes like these to at least be more deep than that...
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Cap'n Crunch

Post by Cap'n Crunch »

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

This comic is either a simple paradox joke or a science joke that goes over my head. :|

Tori

Post by Tori »

It's just another version of self-reference, like, "this phrase is true," or, "this phrase is false." It doesn't necessarily contain a paradox. (The first is either true or false, the second is neither or both.) So, if someone says to you, "I have four words for you: four equals three," then they're either right -- they gave you four words and (they believe that) four equals three-- or they're lying -- they gave you three words, and (they believe that) four does not equal three. The only way to determine the statements truthfulness (whether or not the speaker believes they are lying) is by examining the statement itself.

Honestly, I didn't get the joke, except that it's fun to confuse people.

By the way, this is where the concept of statements that are simultaneously true and not-true (as mentioned in that comic about politicians) came from.

White667

Post by White667 »

This was funnier on Twitter. =P

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Tori wrote:It's just another version of self-reference, like, "this phrase is true," or, "this phrase is false." It doesn't necessarily contain a paradox. (The first is either true or false, the second is neither or both.) So, if someone says to you, "I have four words for you: four equals three," then they're either right -- they gave you four words and (they believe that) four equals three-- or they're lying -- they gave you three words, and (they believe that) four does not equal three. The only way to determine the statements truthfulness (whether or not the speaker believes they are lying) is waterboarding.
Topical humor!
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.