Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: [2011-Dec-07] God with a Zit

Post by smiley_cow »

Nerd wrote:
Hello wrote:Seriously, what pun?
Are you stupid? It is in the third panel.
Really? They just missed a pun. Relax.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Nerd

Post by Nerd »

smiley_cow wrote:
Nerd wrote:
Really? They just missed a pun. Relax.
That's true. I feel bad for insulting him now. So, apologies.

On a plus side, I did help by pointing out where it is so he'll be laughing along with the rest of us in no time. So there is that.

insomniac

Post by insomniac »

"The grief... it is good."
"Good grief."

John

Post by John »

Nerd wrote:
Still not getting it.

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

Post by ChaoticBrain »

"And there was a blemish on her neck."
"So?"

Either Nerd can't count, or he's just trolling.

John

Post by John »

ChaoticBrain wrote:"And there was a blemish on her neck."
"So?"

Either Nerd can't count, or he's just trolling.
You're really gonna have to spell this one out for me.

Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;

Post by Gangler »

I do believe that what CB was getting at is that there isn't any pun in panel 3. As near as I can tell there isn't really any wordplay at all. "Either nerd can't count or is just trolling" is meant to imply, well directly state really, that unless nerd lacks the capacity to effectively assign a number to a panel, they must be deliberately giving false information.

I'm quite sure that the pun in question is within the final two panels. When Charlie Brown says "The Grief... it is Good" this is a variation of his catchphrase "Good Grief" which he was fond of proclaiming after getting the short end of the stick. This was frequent, as things not working out so well for Charlie was a presiding theme in the original works.

In particular, it is relevant that Charlie's perpetual pursuit of the girl with the red hair, never seen on screen or given a name, was accompanied by a perpetual optimism undaunted by his inability to progress towards his goals. In this comic it seems that he's finally managed to progress, but in doing so his optimism was finally betrayed by an end that failed to meet expectations. Recontextualized as such, the phrase takes on new meaning, thus creating the opening for this remarkably clever bit of wordplay.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

insomniac

Post by insomniac »

And now the joke, gloriously explained in full detail, has been entirely ruined.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

insomniac wrote:And now the joke, gloriously explained in full detail, has been entirely ruined.
Actually, it wasn't that funny.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

DonRetrasado wrote:
insomniac wrote:And now the joke, gloriously explained in full detail, has been entirely ruined.
Actually, it wasn't that funny.
Exactly. I wasn't sure at all what "pun" was being talked about. I thought I'd missed something.
Now that I know, my impression of these one-time posters has been diminished greatly. If that was possible.
It wasn't even a pun. The whole comic wasn't funny, but it was okay* but when we are pointing out a rephrasing of Sr. Brown's catchphrase, and calling it a pun? Well, shit.

*My favourite part was simply the way that in the silhouette of Charlie Brown, his zig-zag is transparent.

trepur

Post by trepur »

Its the complex humor found here and in coins that makes SMBC the greatest webcomic in existence.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

Truly only the most sophisticated of netizens can appreciate the subtle humour in this and comics like it.

Pah, you fools with your jokes that are funny and make you roar with laughter like apes! No, a true comedy connoisseur forswears brutish, animal guffaws and commits himself to a wry smile when he realises the humoristic element at play.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

It is then that he strokes his moustache.
Sorry, ladies.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

You ladies wouldn't want to be this man. You'd think his mighty intelligence would be a blessing BUT IT IS A CURSE!!!