[2011-Dec-11] Coins

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: [2011-Dec-11] Coins

Post by Edminster »

Yoo-jin wrote:"The man with 10 coins will get the job" is not the same as "the cat will steal my lunch" [...] If you wanted to make them more equivalent, it would be "the cat that steals my lunch will have stripes"
No, if you wanted to make it more equivalent it would be "The cat with stripes will steal my lunch" or "The man who gets the job will have ten coins" which are both very different concepts.
Yoo-jin wrote: "the man" is a more general, abstract concept which could be applied to several different people whereas "the cat" would refer to a singular cat that one is thinking about.
No, "a man" is a general abstract concept. The whole usage of "the" makes it clear he was thinking about a singular man. It's a flawed hypothesis from the get-go because there isn't even considered the possibility of more than one man possessing ten coins. Then to add insult to injury, Smith ignores the flaw in the hypothesis and focusses on the 'ten coins' aspect. "A man with ten coins will get the job" would have been at least a little more scientific.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Yoo-jin

Post by Yoo-jin »

Edminster wrote:
Yoo-jin wrote:"The man with 10 coins will get the job" is not the same as "the cat will steal my lunch" [...] If you wanted to make them more equivalent, it would be "the cat that steals my lunch will have stripes"
No, if you wanted to make it more equivalent it would be "The cat with stripes will steal my lunch" or "The man who gets the job will have ten coins" which are both very different concepts.
Yoo-jin wrote: "the man" is a more general, abstract concept which could be applied to several different people whereas "the cat" would refer to a singular cat that one is thinking about.
No, "a man" is a general abstract concept. The whole usage of "the" makes it clear he was thinking about a singular man. It's a flawed hypothesis from the get-go because there isn't even considered the possibility of more than one man possessing ten coins. Then to add insult to injury, Smith ignores the flaw in the hypothesis and focusses on the 'ten coins' aspect. "A man with ten coins will get the job" would have been at least a little more scientific.
Yes, if we want to be totally equivalent, it would be "The cat with stripes will steal my lunch".

And it seems that I do have to concede the argument. By the look of it, I failed to see that Zach had worded the problem incorrectly. The actual quotation thought should have been "the man who will get the job has 10 coins in his pocket". In that case, it is "the man who will get the job" rather than simply "the man". The former being dependent on who gets the job whereas the latter being the one referring to a single entity that one has thought of.

But, anyway, this is beside the point. The whole point of the Gettier problem is to show how the idea of "justified, true belief" somewhat fails to capture the idea of "knowledge". Seeing knowledge as simply a fulfillment of necessary, sufficient conditions of having to be justified, true, and being a belief, falls short of how the Gettier problem fails to be knowledge. It's a case where the belief is justified, the belief is true, and the belief is a belief and yet is believed for the wrong reasons. Of course, there have been critiques of this critique and there have also been attempts to modify the definition of knowledge as JTB. I think the most important fact illuminated by this point is that the concept of necessary, sufficient conditions having to be fulfilled before it is considered X might be flawed.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Yoo-jin wrote:All in all, I must say, the Smith in this case must be a rather roundabout guy since "the man with 10 coins will get the job" isn't a way that most people would think.
Not exactly, no. But I could imagine the thought process being something like:
Oh man. That guy's got 10 coins in his pocket. This, for some reason unbeknownst to me, will certainly mean he will get the job.
This train of thought wouldn't drastically change the outcome when he realizes that he got the job and also had 10 coins in his pocket, as the "logic" of the 10-coin job-getter would be intact.

trepur

Post by trepur »

I read SMBC for two sorts of reoccuring jokes:

The '1 panel' jokes, such as this one (I just hit random and this one game up)
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?db=comics&id=701#comic

where is a question or tip or scene that seems realistic and unhumorous and then the last line makes it hilarious

or ones like these (once again found by hitting the random 2-3 times):
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?db=comics&id=2365#comic

These are generally slightly less funny and take a lot longer to understand the joke. But is is worth it. Its this geeky humour that is not only funny, but makes you think.

Coins is one of these examples, in which I stop and think not only of the humour presented, but in the philosophical meaning of the strip.

SMBC 4LIFE!

If it was just the 1 comic strips, I would probably move over to XKCD for my geeky humour...

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

trepur wrote:SMBC 4LIFE!
You should really get a tattoo of this.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

That crossed my mind as well, but I didn't want to be responsible for saying it.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

He might not be "thug" enough for that one.

Perhaps a heart with a ribbon across it that says SMBC?

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

pfft no, nerds love tattoos, except they get tattoos of pikachu jumping on a goomba or something.

They'll get a big ol' back tattoo of e=mc squared except where the two should be there's a pear, it's a hilarious joke that is forever on your body where everyone will set it forever.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Even when it's covered! They'll know.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.