[2011-Dec-27] Hey, this comic was good! Let's talk about it!

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Quintushalls

[2011-Dec-27] Hey, this comic was good! Let's talk about it!

Post by Quintushalls »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2474#comic

12/28s was so bad, that it makes this comic sooo goood. Let's just assume it is still 12/27.

BTW, anyone know of any journal the character could have actually wrote to? Would People Magazine count? I bet you could argue that People Magazine is a Sociology journal that focuses on attractive people, "like you, baby." I wonder how much you would have to pay Popular Science to run that? I bet you could have it in there as a 1 page ad, then she would HAVE to believe it is legitimate!

It is too bad sympathy didn't work. I thought getting girls by being emotionally wounded was a decent strategy, like with Nightingale syndrome, where nurses fall in love with their patients, or being emo, like that guy in "Hunchback of Notre Dame" (Disney version). I mean, come on, do you really think Lorraine would have had sex with George McFly if he wasn't at his utter most pathetic state?

...Stupid Friend Zone!

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: [2011-Dec-27] Hey, this comic was good! Let's talk about

Post by smiley_cow »

Quintushalls wrote: It is too bad sympathy didn't work. I thought getting girls by being emotionally wounded was a decent strategy, like with Nightingale syndrome, where nurses fall in love with their patients, or being emo, like that guy in "Hunchback of Notre Dame" (Disney version). I mean, come on, do you really think Lorraine would have had sex with George McFly if he wasn't at his utter most pathetic state?

...Stupid Friend Zone!
OK, I haven't read the comic yet, but what?

Effective or not, emotionally manipulating people to get them to sleep with you is really creepy. Also the whole friend zone thing is really creepy. Also Quasimodo didn't get the girl in Hunchback of Notre Dame. She ended up with Phoebus and he was happy for her like a decent human being.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

smiley_cow wrote:
Quintushalls wrote: She ended up with Phoebus and he was happy for her like a decent human being.
Not in my version. :'(

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I would not be too upset if I never heard the words "friend zone" again.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

UnclGhost

Post by UnclGhost »

this was the goodcomic i give it five star ofo the five star sacle

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

words we can add to that list

hipster
9gag

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I want to remind everyone that both studies that found that red wine is good for your health were funded by the French wine industry, and no other studies ever found that any alcohol is good for you.

Also, the guy in the comic is pathetic.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

what about all those people who get old and say that they drank red wine all the time?

Their anecdotes are evidence enough.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Pitch Hitter wrote:what about all those people who get old and say that they drank red wine all the time?

Their anecdotes are evidence enough.
Exactly! As the saying goes, "the plural of anecdote is metastudy".
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

smiley_cow wrote: Effective or not, emotionally manipulating people to get them to sleep with you is really creepy.
What you call emotional manipulation, I call love.

Seriously, though, call my cynical, but isn't emotional manipulation a large part of love and other relationships? Granted it isn't usually concious or the like.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I think there's a definite line. You're talking subtle manipulations that people probably do subconsciously every day. I'm personally thinking about all the various "strategies" I've heard guys talk about where they consciously manipulate women to have sex with them, usually for a one night stand while implying otherwise. Often through guilt, pity, or through being able to pinpoint the more emotionally vulnerable women in a room. There's a big difference between trying to get a girl to laugh because you know that will help endear you to her and purposely and subtly getting her to a certain level of drunk that she's less likely to say no to sex.*

*This would be wrong no matter who did it, I just see men doing it more than women.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

Post by ChaoticBrain »

smiley_cow wrote:
Quintushalls wrote:Also Quasimodo didn't get the girl in Hunchback of Notre Dame. She ended up with Phoebus and he was happy for her like a decent human being.
In the Disney version, yes. It ends slightly differently in Victor Hugo's original novel.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yes, I'm pretty sure they were talking about the Disney version.
Quintushalls wrote:like that guy in "Hunchback of Notre Dame" (Disney version).

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Pitch Hitter wrote:what about all those people who get old and say that they drank red wine all the time?
I'd be more impressed if they drank red wine all the time and didn't get old.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.