[2012-Feb-05] Socrates

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

SiSl

[2012-Feb-05] Socrates

Post by SiSl »

[comic linky]
I don't get the last line: "Bring me the hemlock." Any pointers?

Trivia: New on the forum. Hi guys/gals/fellow nerds!

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Re: [2012-Feb-5] Socrates

Post by Dindong »

Socrates died by drinking hemlock.

Trivia: Are you a nerd? Nerd stands for Nowledgeable, Erudite, Randy and Dirty. I don't think you qualify as any of those things.

SiSl

Post by SiSl »

Ah. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. (English isn't my native language. Which doesn't stop me from cringing at "nowledgeable", however.)

Nah, my definition of nerd is a bit different. "Fascinated with knowledge", which you can take as wide or as narrow as you please.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

The only definition of NERD I accept is this musical act.

So you're all wrong.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

SiSl wrote:Which doesn't stop me from cringing at "nowledgeable", however.
Some people cringe at the word moist. It's weird that some words make people uncomfortable.

Sahan, sweet video. I'm about to watch it, so that might not be correct.

PapaSloth

Post by PapaSloth »

Dindong wrote:Some people cringe at the word moist.
Toilette seat girl? Is that you?

Plato's Pajamas

Post by Plato's Pajamas »

Socrates never said that. What he actually said was "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." Also, Socrates would write a way funnier comic than SMBC, but it wouldn't have as many dick jokes.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

Plato's Pajamas wrote:Socrates never said that. What he actually said was "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." Also, Socrates would write a way funnier comic than SMBC, but it wouldn't have as many dick jokes.
Yeah, it was the oracle at Delphi who said he was the wisest, I think.

As for writing a comic, Socrates didn't believe in writing things down. He believed that writing something down was vastly inferior to talking to someone, because they can reply. Writing has to have every possible objection answered in the passage to be effective, so his argument went, so it took far longer to make someone understand something properly than talking to them.

Although we don't know know much about Socrates, because he never wrote anything down.

Post by Guest »

Plato's Pajamas wrote:Socrates never said that. What he actually said was "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." Also, Socrates would write a way funnier comic than SMBC, but it wouldn't have as many dick jokes.
Please cock was the last thing on his lips whe he died

Plato's Pajamas

Post by Plato's Pajamas »

Guest wrote:
Please cock was the last thing on his lips whe he died
Yes, and he was very serious about it.

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

Post by ChaoticBrain »

Dindong wrote:Yeah, it was the oracle at Delphi who said he was the wisest, I think.

As for writing a comic, Socrates didn't believe in writing things down. He believed that writing something down was vastly inferior to talking to someone, because they can reply. Writing has to have every possible objection answered in the passage to be effective, so his argument went, so it took far longer to make someone understand something properly than talking to them.

Although we don't know know much about Socrates, because he never wrote anything down.
Ah, sweet delicious irony.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Socrates never said he was the wisest, he just thought everybody he ever met was damn unwise and let them know it. Which kind of makes him more of a dick

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Socrates wasn't even real, guys. Socrates was the name of one of Plato's friend's cat who had died years before. He wrote the dialogues to as transcripts of Plato communing with the cat after death* to screw with his friend. True story.

*"Drank hemlock" was actually an ancient greek phrase for "being run over by a chariot".

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Socrates didn't say any of this. I know, I was there.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

AllanO

Post by AllanO »

Socrates said sure people who know how to make armpit noises know something (well I'm paraphrasing), but he claimed they also went on to claim that they knew other things, like armpit noise guy probably thinks he knows how to make a good web comic, even though let's be honest his hypothetical webcomic is clearly lacking and Socrates declared that a fail.

To be fair I think Aristophanes already made most of the good Socrates jokes (and a lot of dick jokes also) and its a noble thing to try to revive the underused genre of Socrates jokes.
--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley