[2012-Feb-10] The gracehopper

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Danny Boy (London Derriere)

[2012-Feb-10] The gracehopper

Post by Danny Boy (London Derriere) »

1) So what is it about her corporeal form? I thought it would be a giant grasshopper.

2) The votey is a callback to the weird goggles/glasses in an earlier panel. But without that connection it would read as a bra.

3) I did once see Adm. Hopper on a speaking tour. She brought along a measuring rod that she said was the length of a light-second. No, that can't be. A light-microsecond?

DannyBoy

Re: [2012-Feb-10] The gracehopper

Post by DannyBoy »

Must have been a light-nanosecond.

> units
1948 units, 71 prefixes, 28 functions

You have: light-nanosecond
You want: m
/ 3.335641
You have: light-nanosecond
You want: cm
/ 0.03335641

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Extremely terrible.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

But DR it lionised women programmers in an incredibly boring way! It was almost as good as xkcd.

younglink164

Post by younglink164 »

As a female programmer this is the best thing I've ever seen in my life

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

To use Plato's analogy of the cave, do you live in a cave?

Post by Guest »

way to alienate your core demographic

AllanO

Post by AllanO »

Two things bug me about this comic: first Grace Hopper was part of the team operating the Harvard Mark I, but did not participate in its construction, second, surely the term "rear admiral" should not pass by without a joke.

Otherwise yes Grace Hopper is pretty cool. Also, yes history shows that women can work in computer fields as competently as men.
Last edited by AllanO on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

AllanO wrote:Also, yes history shows that women can work in computer fields as easily as men.
Funny, I would've assumed there'd be some discrimination in computer fields.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

Men can carry more computers when it comes to harvest time.

AllanO

Post by AllanO »

DonRetrasado wrote:Funny, I would've assumed there'd be some discrimination in computer fields.
Well in light of your response, I edited my post to be more precise about what I meant. Interestingly in the period Grace Hopper began her computer career there were probably proportionately more women in computers than in other technical fields (not going to swear to that), but I could not say parity existed.

Before the advent of the electronic computer technical (and accounting) calculations that had to be done in large numbers were often done by rooms full of women working on various calculator type machines (or even pen, paper and log tables). Such grunt work was often done by the same sort of women who became typists. However some of the organizers and technical point people of such teams were women with advanced degrees in mathematics (note Grace Hopper had a PhD in mathematics from Harvard). Woman could get the organizing jobs because while they were technical they were not exactly prestigious. However such numerical analysis expertise was rare at the time when computers were invented and vital to optimal use of computers. So they could often get jobs at the early computer installations (which often grew out of places using human computing power) and that is why there are probably more prominent women in the early history of computers than in other fields at the time.
--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

Wow, you've really thought through your version of "My field is less bigoted than all the others".

AllanO

Post by AllanO »

Pitch Hitter wrote:Wow, you've really thought through your version of "My field is less bigoted than all the others".
How was I defending history with that post?
--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

AllanO wrote:
Pitch Hitter wrote:Wow, you've really thought through your version of "My field is less bigoted than all the others".
How was I defending history with that post?
I don't know about defending history, but you were essentially saying "look how open-minded us computer science folks are!"

AllanO

Post by AllanO »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I don't know about defending history, but you were essentially saying "look how open-minded us computer science folks are!"
I think I was saying look how gendered division of labour (prejudice) is based in random historical contingencies that can lead to counter intuitive consequences. I thought it was relevant background to the strip.
--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley