Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

P1h3r1e3d13

[2012-Feb-17] Jesus v. Asian Glow

Post by P1h3r1e3d13 »

Dane Raider

Re: [2012-Feb-17] Jesus v. Asian Glow

Post by Dane Raider »

Out of interest, how do you pronounce your name?
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

KoalaBro2

Post by KoalaBro2 »

It's worth noting that, because Christianity in Korea is heavily associated with the temperance movement (just as it was in the US a hundred years ago), most Korean translations of the Bible have Jesus turning water into grape juice. My wife is the daughter of a Korean minister, and her parents always yell at us for having alcohol in the house whenever they come to visit.

Of course, Christianity has done quite well in Korea, and is larger than any other religion there.

Yoo-jin

Post by Yoo-jin »

Well, there is such a thing as alcohol dehydrogenase but I'm not educated on the subject so I'm not sure if it's correct or not.

CuddlePony

Post by CuddlePony »

We have alcohol dehydrogenase predominantly found in our liver which converts alcohol to a acetaldehyde and NADH (this provides us with energy that everyone says we get from alcohol).

Fun fact if we had pyruvate decarboxylase we would get wasted when we went for a run (anaerobic conditions) as our body would be able to convert pyruvate to acetylaldehyde (using pyruvate decarboxylase) which could then be converted to alcohol by alcohol dehydrogenase. Since evolution sucks sometimes our body uses lactate dehydrogenase to convert pyruvate to lactic acid to oxidize NADH to NAD+ so glycolysis can keep pumping out ATP under anaerobic conditions.

In a world where humans had pyruvate decarboxylase homeless people would probably be super fit and sports would be a lot more interesting.

/BIochem Major

Dapen

Post by Dapen »

CuddlePony wrote:We have alcohol dehydrogenase predominantly found in our liver which converts alcohol to a acetaldehyde and NADH (this provides us with energy that everyone says we get from alcohol).

Fun fact if we had pyruvate decarboxylase we would get wasted when we went for a run (anaerobic conditions) as our body would be able to convert pyruvate to acetylaldehyde (using pyruvate decarboxylase) which could then be converted to alcohol by alcohol dehydrogenase. Since evolution sucks sometimes our body uses lactate dehydrogenase to convert pyruvate to lactic acid to oxidize NADH to NAD+ so glycolysis can keep pumping out ATP under anaerobic conditions.

In a world where humans had pyruvate decarboxylase homeless people would probably be super fit and sports would be a lot more interesting.

/BIochem Major
Man, evolution is pretty shit some times.

topher

Post by topher »

Dapen wrote:
CuddlePony wrote:We have alcohol dehydrogenase predominantly found in our liver which converts alcohol to a acetaldehyde and NADH (this provides us with energy that everyone says we get from alcohol).

/BIochem Major
Man, evolution is pretty shit some times.
Just to be awkwardy rational, in a world where physical exertion made you drunk, evolution would have wiped us out before we made it onto two feet.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Or it just wouldn't make us drunk.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Cuddleponey

Post by Cuddleponey »

Well Durp, but probably best to clarify. We can still hope one day that gene therapy will resolve this issue of us not getting drunk after taking a run.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

Cuddleponey wrote:Durp
This word needs to be the only text engraved on my tombstone.

SECRET MESSAGE: My work here continues apace. Please disregard the nth post; we we be victorious. Azakkawa. (REDACTED)
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

Post by Guest »

Cuddleponey wrote:Well Durp, but probably best to clarify. We can still hope one day that gene therapy will resolve this issue of us not getting drunk after taking a run.
But booze can solve that problem just fine. Or if you really want it to be semi-automatic, maybe you can have the equivalent of an insulin pump, but for getting you wasted.

cuddlepony

Post by cuddlepony »

Guest wrote:
Cuddleponey wrote:Well Durp, but probably best to clarify. We can still hope one day that gene therapy will resolve this issue of us not getting drunk after taking a run.
But booze can solve that problem just fine. Or if you really want it to be semi-automatic, maybe you can have the equivalent of an insulin pump, but for getting you wasted.
I'm in Canadia booze is expensive, and I'm far to lazy to make it.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

I find it odd that you have chosen this place to have a conversation. Odd but pleasing that out of the whole internet you two met here.

And you aren't even registered. It's really something, isn't it?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

cuddlepony wrote:I'm in Canadia booze is expensive, and I'm far to lazy to make it.
Let's kick it to Newfoundland! Where everyone makes their own screech!
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

P1h3r1e3d13

Post by P1h3r1e3d13 »

Dane Raider wrote:Out of interest, how do you pronounce your name?
Like “Fred” or “Fred 13.” This way, it's never ever taken on any site.
There was an interesting discussion on Wikipedia about whether to allow it.