[2012-Feb-29] If this were your simulated universe...

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Craig

[2012-Feb-29] If this were your simulated universe...

Post by Craig »

The oddities in physics that lend the universe to easier simulation are a favorite topic of mine.

The comic didn't mention the other key part: the size of the universe can be bounded. An expanding universe + upper speed limit = only matter within a finite area can effect some chosen point. Anything leaving this "visible universe" can be removed as an optimization. This puts a upper bound on the matter needed to include in the universe and thus also bounds the computation needed to model the universe (since as discussed in the comic, there is a finite amount for a unit of matter). This has a scary side effect: there may be a clipping plane traveling through space at the speed of light.

What can you do? Well, if I were simulating such a universe, I'd keep interesting things from getting clipped, so try and be interesting folks!

Krowoff

Re: [2012-Feb-29] If this were your simulated universe...

Post by Krowoff »

Hi,

wasn´t there a sci-fi film about this theory? Plot in a nutshell: Scientists created a whole new universe. One Individuum recognized this and tried to escape and was helped by one of the scientists and by doing that he recognized that he is living in a simulated universe hisself.

I just can´t remember the name of the movie. Might be interesting to see for other filmfans, too. Can anybody help?
Thank you.

Sincerely,
K

Dr. T

Post by Dr. T »

Minimum temperature, maximum speed, uncertainty principle - who will be the first to spot this line of argumentation fielded by a religious creationist?

Guestposter

Post by Guestposter »

Krowoff wrote:Hi,

wasn´t there a sci-fi film about this theory? Plot in a nutshell: Scientists created a whole new universe. One Individuum recognized this and tried to escape and was helped by one of the scientists and by doing that he recognized that he is living in a simulated universe hisself.

I just can´t remember the name of the movie. Might be interesting to see for other filmfans, too. Can anybody help?
Thank you.

Sincerely,
K
The Thirteenth Floor

Mark v1.0

Post by Mark v1.0 »

wasn´t there a sci-fi film about this theory?

Its called Blade Runner 1982. We are all just replicants. When we reach age 40 or so, we realize we are clones of our mother or father.

QQ

Post by QQ »

Did he change the number of our universe rank from 37th to 61st? Any guesses as to why?

onlyhalfthetime

Post by onlyhalfthetime »

QQ wrote:Did he change the number of our universe rank from 37th to 61st? Any guesses as to why?
I noted that too! unless... that's part of the simulation! Dun dun Dah!

andros

Post by andros »

No-one designing a Universe optimised for computation would have put in QCD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chromodynamics. If I were designing the world least optimised for simulation that would be my first thought.. Possibly an argument for intelligent design, as it makes it really hard for us to figure out what's really going on...

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

QQ wrote:Did he change the number of our universe rank from 37th to 61st? Any guesses as to why?
He just calculated it incorrectly the first time.
Pirate.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

andros wrote: Possibly an argument for intelligent design, as it makes it really hard for us to figure out what's really going on...
Or maybe we are just not intelligent or knowledgeable enough and our models are not accurate. All science is comprised of imprecise models based on our limited observations. In some cases, theories are based on extremely limited observation. And unless you possess the equivalent education of a doctorate in quantum mechanics, I suggest you stop talking about it until you do.

If I could simulate reality, I certainly wouldn't make it so the simulated intelligences in that simulated reality would have the ability to figure out what is going on. The philosophical question that acts as the premise for the comic is dumb. It might make a neat basis for a work of fiction, but actually arguing whether it is true or not is about as useful and productive as arguing the existence of an unknowable god. Ultimately it is a matter of faith.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

friendlyneighborhoodpedant

Post by friendlyneighborhoodpedant »

But what if you're in a test-run to see if they managed to get the "doesn't figure out they're in a simulated reality" right.

Post by Guest »

actually, we may, and I can't stress enough on may, have found evidence for this. Now, I don't understand it at all, but James Gates is brilliant (great teach12 lectures on string theory), but it's very intrigueing to think about.

I'm sorry I couldn't find any better reference, but it's worth a watch, even though most doesn't pertain to this conversation.

youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=lYeN66CSQhg

Krowoff

Post by Krowoff »

Guestposter wrote:
The Thirteenth Floor
Thank you.
That's the movie. Simulacron-3 is the novel. Very influential.
...Blade Runner is more like seachring for a real identity as a synthetic being, than searching for reality in a synthetic environment.

K

mcc

Post by mcc »

andros wrote:No-one designing a Universe optimised for computation would have put in QCD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chromodynamics. If I were designing the world least optimised for simulation that would be my first thought.. Possibly an argument for intelligent design, as it makes it really hard for us to figure out what's really going on...
Now that you mention it, my dim outsider's understanding is that lattice QCD means that QCD is very difficult to reason about using closed-form equations but tractable to simulate in a computer?

Spinalcold

Post by Spinalcold »

mcc wrote:
andros wrote:No-one designing a Universe optimised for computation would have put in QCD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chromodynamics. If I were designing the world least optimised for simulation that would be my first thought.. Possibly an argument for intelligent design, as it makes it really hard for us to figure out what's really going on...
Now that you mention it, my dim outsider's understanding is that lattice QCD means that QCD is very difficult to reason about using closed-form equations but tractable to simulate in a computer?
The other thing about QCD is that it can demonstrate symmetries in physics that normal math couldn't get at. And it's by using these symmetries that theoretical physicists can predict new particles like 3rd generation Quarks and the Higgs Boson. Not saying it's easy, just saying it's useful for finding more truths of the universe.