Re: [2012-Mar-1] Kids These Days

Post by grammarcop2 »

Spelling error in the votey.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Maybe it's just a sentence fragment?
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

topher

Post by topher »

A sentence fragment would surely end with a trailing "...".
Having a sentence ending "!" suggests to me that it was a cock-up.

Ignoring tiny errors; I didn't really get the funny. Maybe I was too overwhelmed with hatred for squeeky wheel people, but the punchline just lacked punch!

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

topher wrote:A sentence fragment would surely end with a trailing "...".
It was a very emphatic fragment.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Shadlyn

Post by Shadlyn »

My mother is a teacher, my boyfriend's parents are both teachers, and this one couldn't make me laugh because it is painfully true. Most teachers do their best not to give in but it really does cause them a lot of trouble sometimes, because principals don't want the bad publicity.

The punchline, however, was perfect. I wanted to laugh, (not very self-reliant, heh) but I was still too heartbroken over the terrible system that makes this joke possible.

topher

Post by topher »

I don't think it's the teaching system or the pricipals that cause the problem, it's personal resposibility.
If a parents argues with and threatens a teacher their kids getting better grades than the kids with reasonable parents.
If someone rages at the doctors receptionist they get an appointment sooner than the people quielty waiting.
It works because people wimp out and give those unreasonable self-absorbed people what they want, thus reinforcing that behaviour.
I try to make a point of working harder for people who treat me politely and make reasonable requests.

PoetsHead

Post by PoetsHead »

I am a teacher and find this hilarious. These types of parents are known as "helicopter" parents, and their children seriously cannot deal with less than an A and expect others to go out of their way to give them what they think they "deserve." I used to back down all the time last year, but this year I'm standing my ground -- mainly because these future "leaders" need to learn right now how to EARN their grades, and I will no longer feed into a system of creating useless humans for the job market. It is also why I don't believe in "gifted & talented" programs, because it's the parents pushing for their children to be G&T, not so much the student being either of those things. Bah, education politics.

dauntless

Post by dauntless »

The social commentary would be much more biting if the punchline was funny.

At least it wasn't a goddamn graph joke.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

dauntless wrote:At least it wasn't a goddamn graph joke.
Those are done solely to spite me, some people observe.
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I had a college professor who would screw with the hyper grade obsessed, never got less than an A students. He would actually return a 20 page paper they slaved over with a C on it and let them stew until they really got worked up over it. He would then reveal that they actually got a higher grade and he was just being a jerk for a laugh at their expense. He usually only gave out one or two As for final grade a semester though and his reputation as a hard grader was well known, so it was an especially effective and cruel prank.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

That does seem rather cruel, as I'm imagining some of those students are depending on certain grade averages to get into post-graduate programs or some such thing.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Apocalyptus wrote:That does seem rather cruel, as I'm imagining some of those students are depending on certain grade averages to get into post-graduate programs or some such thing.
Yea, well he was a polisci professor, so just about everyone the class but me was pre-law. I was there because a lot of poli-sci classes counted towards my useless sociology degree and I'd already taken all the interesting sociology classes. He was a really hard grader, but he was fair. The students who were smart and really applied themselves to the few Aes, but he would sometimes screw with them to show them that the shouldn't take everything so seriously.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Is anyone else having problems with this comic? It only loaded the first half inch of the comic (up to her eye), and that's all I got. That's the way it was yesterday, and that's how it is today.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

Gonna have to suggest you try clearing your cache or switching browsers, 'cos I've got it through no trouble.

I've got a bunch of different browsers on this machine (I won't bore you with why) and none of them are having any trouble -- the same is not true of other webcomics, some of which have the occasional comic that just doesn't like one of the older or less compliant browsers.

Edit: Oooh, does your ISP make use of proxies? Or are you utilising one yourself? If the proxy got hold of a corrupt image, it'll hold onto that until something persuades it to flush it and request a new version.
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.