Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: [2012-Mar-2] Objective Morality

Post by Kaharz »

Dindong wrote:WHO GOT IT WRONG
God
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

People like it when you say things about them. You're talking about yourself too much. Ask questions, be a good listener.

Two of these, one of these.

UnclGhost

Post by UnclGhost »

My interpretation: they thought he was making a pun on "objective morali-tea" and got the hell out of there

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

That's real smooth, UnclGhost.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Dindong wrote:If you'll just read from the start of the thread you'll find I explained what it meant.

Ignoring me made me like you more!
To be fair, I ignored most of the posts up to this point, too.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

Ho ho, he's on to you, Oldrac. You can't curry favour with my boy Dindong just by playing the "I ignored more people than you" card.

Though, I admit, it's a finely illustrated card, and the gold gilt really marks this out as a piece that would look simply fantastic in every home. How much were these going for again, Sharon? I think I might buy one for myself! Remember, folks, if you order now you get the illustrated "I ignored more people than you" card, plus the red Satan presentation box, and the set of fine imitation 18th century Peruvian silverware cutlery for just $89.95, plus $24 shipping and handling. This is a while-stocks-last deal, folks, so don't delay, order now!
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

Tyrevolution

Post by Tyrevolution »

This is stupid. Absolute morality vs Objective morality is irrelevant to the joke.
In the same sentence he references the tea and goes on to say he doesn't believe in OM. This implies that, hypothetically, he could have put something in the tea and not felt it was morally wrong.

Just because the guests are religious doesn't mean that 'absolute morality' should replace 'objective morality'. If you replaced the two JW with two door-to-door salesmen (or some other annoying secular house-caller) the joke would still make sense.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

oh god

what point are you arguing now

Issoisso

Post by Issoisso »

I dont know what is going on in here

Spinalcold

Post by Spinalcold »

I don't believe most Jehovah's Witnesses go by this rule anymore, but they can't have caffeine so tea would be 'immoral' for them. Or just against their faith. Rules like that I don't understand.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

The rules that surprised me were no oral sex and no ladies on top.

I'm not just being crude here, this was recounted by a fallen Jehovah's Witnesses friend as told to her before her wedding night.
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

No blood transfusions either. A lot of people think they're pretty sexy and I don't know what they do with that pent up energy.

Probably take it on their wives, violently.

notapplicable

Post by notapplicable »

No oral sex is actually a rule for all Christian faiths. It falls under the umbrella that is "sodomy". It was illegal in most US states until the late 60s and early 70s... tho I doubt many people reported it.

As far as the woman being on top being against the rules... HOW DARE THEY?!

I keed... Catholicism condemned everything except missionary position. Jehovah's Witnesses prolly just adopted that.

As far as the no drugs or blood transfusions things... I read that Scientologists have some similar beliefs about medicine, which is a little surprising since one of the main tenants of their belief is that all ethical behavior is derived from contributing to the struggle to survive. meh. Silly cults.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

notapplicable wrote:No oral sex is actually a rule for all Christian faiths. It falls under the umbrella that is "sodomy". It was illegal in most US states until the late 60s and early 70s... tho I doubt many people reported it.

As far as the woman being on top being against the rules... HOW DARE THEY?!

I keed... Catholicism condemned everything except missionary position. Jehovah's Witnesses prolly just adopted that.

As far as the no drugs or blood transfusions things... I read that Scientologists have some similar beliefs about medicine, which is a little surprising since one of the main tenants of their belief is that all ethical behavior is derived from contributing to the struggle to survive. meh. Silly cults.
It seems like you've really done some scholarly research for this particular thesis.

notapplicable

Post by notapplicable »

Oh good grief. I didn't realize you cunts expect me to cite my sources.

Sodomy law in the United States: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_law ... ted_States And yes most states punish oral sex. May I suggest that Sodomy laws have religious origins without citing my source?

My assertion that at one time Catholicism condemned everything but missionary position comes from growing up in a Catholic family, but also has some historical support: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary ... on#History CTRL-F "sexual positions" to find the passage.

As for my claims about Scientology, I have no personal experience, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Lisa_McPherson This is what I read to conclude that Scientologists don't trust western medicine. And this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientolog ... and_ethics is where I read that one of their main tenants was that ethics are derived from the struggle to survive.

Have I provided passable evidence, you snarky twat? :P