[2012-Mar-11/12] Multcomic

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Re: [2012-Mar-11-12] Multcomic

Post by Guest »

Sprinkles wrote:But it's a direct quote right? I'm not familiar enough with Peter Pan to be able to tell.

I think it's a direct quote. I was operating under that assumption anyway. The thing is, even from a very literal interpretation I'm having trouble seeing why anyone would assume "second star to the right" means fly all the way to that star. If anything, I would think it means turn when you pass the second star, but that's also pretty meaningless, because there would have to be a lot fewer stars in the sky to work out something like that. There are also various other reasons this doesn't make sense, but I still wouldn't even think to imagine the instructions to be go out to space and fly to that star. I guess you could argue that's why it's funny, because it's not something you would immediately think, but to me it's why it just came across awkward.

Nathanyel

Post by Nathanyel »

Issoisso wrote:Where was the funny supposed to be?

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2547
That we were expecting a Kony joke after the first panel.
Last edited by Nathanyel on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendaryBuffoon

Post by legendaryBuffoon »

The cake one was a bit obvious. It feels like I've heard that joke several times before.

The "circle of life" one, I think, was intended to be a bit non-sequitur. A usually grand and profound subject such as "the circle of life" is intentionally reduced to a single aperture which provides life-giving nutrients to an old man.

The peter pan quote was supposed to be whimsical in context, the illogic in using stars for those sorts of directions was invoked and dismissed, because of magic. Then Zach made it literal, as emphasized in the votey.
hurr durr de herp derp

dauntless

Post by dauntless »

legendaryBuffoon wrote:The cake one was a bit obvious. It feels like I've heard that joke several times before.
Knowing Zach's tendency to reuse his own jokes, you probably have (I'm guessing it was a one-panel comic from 2010).