[2012-Mar-21] - Too many panels again

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

JonnyMac

[2012-Mar-21] - Too many panels again

Post by JonnyMac »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2556#comic
Nothing wrong with multi panel comics, but the advantage to a single panel comic is that you have to fit the whole joke into it. This mostly means that you have little time to explain the entire joke before the audience themselves get the joke, and also that often there's less explanation which makes the comic even funnier when you figure it out. I know it's hard sometimes to hit the sweet spot between "I don't get it" and "Yea I get it" but he can really help by just trying to cut down on panels. For example, this comic does not need its first panel, or maybe not even the fourth panel.

Hilarious faces as usual though. :P

ChickenFace

Re: [2012 March 21] - Too many panels again

Post by ChickenFace »

You obviously missed the comic's only joke, then.

Second to last panel, the brand of physicist chow. "Beef Tensors". Pure gold. :)

uddleony

Post by uddleony »

I'm with you OP.

Reading is hard and less panels usually = less words.

Post by Guest »

uddleony wrote:I'm with you OP.

Reading is hard and less panels usually = less words.
Ahem.. "fewer".

Raen

Post by Raen »

AS A PHYSICIST I FIND THIS COMIC EXTREMELY OFFENSI... ... ok, actually that's totally me in about 40 years.

Sprinkles
[Insert Here]

Post by Sprinkles »

As a philosopher, I already feel capable of commenting on any area of science or indeed any subject at all.

Spinalcold

Post by Spinalcold »

this comic was awesome! this is receding to a physicist who published a paper saying he has a math model that details how languages evolve. So many physicists get bored or just simply curious and dabbled on other fields. which I think is good for science, but a target for jokes too.

Dane Raider

Post by Dane Raider »

I enjoyed it, but I'm jumping on the less* is more bandwagon when it comes to panels.

* Sorry, fewer.
Being kinky is when you tickle your girlfriend's anus with a feather, being perverted is when you bypass that hassle and just start humping chickens.

hightechartist

Post by hightechartist »

Sprinkles wrote:As a philosopher, I already feel capable of commenting on any area of science or indeed any subject at all.
I feel that way and I'm not even a philosopher. I'm just an ignorant asshole.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I am a self-proclaimed polymath and frequently pretend to be an expert, and thus nothing is outside my area of pretend expertise.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

ocheesitz

Post by ocheesitz »

Is this comic explicitly about Freeman Dyson?

You are hereby fined one (1) Internets for making fun of a personal friend of Richard (God) Feynman.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

You know, for as much as people posting in this subforum annoy me, it's not often that I wish I had the power to censor them.

But there are exceptions.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

sniffy

Post by sniffy »

ocheesitz wrote:Is this comic explicitly about Freeman Dyson?

You are hereby fined one (1) Internets for making fun of a personal friend of Richard (God) Feynman.
My guess was Dawkins, though he's not a physicist. The humor applies equally well to any very narrowly knowledgeable individual who spends his free time getting into topics on which he has zero expertise and still expects to be taken as an expert. See also, Chomsky, Noam.

Spinalcold

Post by Spinalcold »

the one that actually comes to mind as one of the butts of the joke is Sir Roger Penrose. he worked with Hawking on his black hole theory, is more mathematition than physicist. he came up with a lot of ideas, actually my favorite is his ideas of a quantum mechanical brain to explain how it seems to be more than a sum of its parts.

Anon21

Post by Anon21 »

sniffy wrote:My guess was Dawkins, though he's not a physicist. The humor applies equally well to any very narrowly knowledgeable individual who spends his free time getting into topics on which he has zero expertise and still expects to be taken as an expert. See also, Chomsky, Noam.
Except, Chomsky doesn't work, because the "out of field" stuff he opines on is politics and foreign affairs, on which no one is an expert. Yes, I see that shiny Masters in International Affairs on the wall of your childhood bedroom, whence you have returned after finding there are no jobs for such as you. No, one one cares about it.