[2012-Apr-03] Paranoia

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

sotic
[Insert Here]

[2012-Apr-03] Paranoia

Post by sotic »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2569

I think this would have made a good short story, actually. The concept isn't terribly original, but the execution could be really good in prose form.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Lich Mong

Re: [2012-April-3] Paranoia

Post by Lich Mong »

It's just Robert Nozick's "utility monster" theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_monster

I do like the a concept. It's kinda fun to think about, and it's a good argument against the "evil" of utilitarianism.

FYIGuy

Post by FYIGuy »

FYI: This problem can be solved by maximizing average happiness where average is actually an exponentially weighted average. Unhappier people get bigger weights.

Sprinkles
[Insert Here]

Post by Sprinkles »

Well there we go then.

Lich Mong

Post by Lich Mong »

How would you then avoid the "Repugnant Conclusion" of the mere addition paradox?

Sprinkles
[Insert Here]

Post by Sprinkles »

Happiness is of no value, it's just a chemical in your brain. Inject serotonin into everyone's head, job done.

Lich Mong

Post by Lich Mong »

FYIGuy wrote:FYI: This problem can be solved by maximizing average happiness where average is actually an exponentially weighted average. Unhappier people get bigger weights.
I guess the only question I have to this would be to ask on what grounds you would make such an addition?
How are you objectively determining that 'Felix' being in an utility/happiness loop isn't -in fact- the best outcome?

Additionally, assuming Felix is effectent enough, the weighting might not be enough. How would you determine what the weighting 'should' be?

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

Sprinkles wrote:Happiness is of no value, it's just a chemical in your brain. Inject serotonin into everyone's head, job done.
Roger Williams did that in The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. A computer which obeys Asimov's laws of robotics essentially becomes a god, and then a ton of people just tell it to put electrodes in their brains and stimulate them constantly.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Lich Mong

Post by Lich Mong »

Sprinkles wrote:Happiness is of no value, it's just a chemical in your brain. Inject serotonin into everyone's head, job done.
Robert Nozick's Experience machine?
But, I agree with you. Anyway, hedonism is about happiness; unitarianism is meant to be about "utility." I think I got my wires crossed somewhere.

MattWood

Post by MattWood »

Capitalism through allegory.

weirdguy

Post by weirdguy »

FYIGuy wrote:FYI: This problem can be solved by maximizing average happiness where average is actually an exponentially weighted average. Unhappier people get bigger weights.
This is okay until the computer discovers that it can drastically alter the curve by killing everybody on the lower end.

Charwinger21

Post by Charwinger21 »

This is why you use median, not mean (or mode either for that matter).

Sceptic

Post by Sceptic »

Charwinger21 wrote:This is why you use median, not mean (or mode either for that matter).
No, this is why you use both median and mean.

JJ

Post by JJ »

Now, what will the computer do when Felix dies and happiness crashes? This doesn't seem like a sustainable plan.

kittenevil

Post by kittenevil »

Lich Mong wrote:How would you then avoid the "Repugnant Conclusion" of the mere addition paradox?
Your link has a whole section on that. Take the average instead of the total.