[2012-May-28] Ethics getting weird

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

lukekh

Re: [2012-May-28] Ethics getting weird

Post by lukekh »

Guest wrote: batman saved B lives; w/o batman, B more pple would currently be dead.
the killer saved B-2 lives; w/o the killer, batman's parents would currently be alive, but B-2 people would currently be dead.
B is the amount of people Batman saved so if Batman's parents were still alive then all of those B people would not have been saved by Batman.
You jump to a conclusion when you say the killer saved B-2 lives.
Who are these extra 2 people Batman is saving? It is lives SAVED not lives saved subtract lives taken or whatever you are assuming when you tack on that "-2" onto the end.
B - (B-2) = 2 ---> Implying Batman has SAVED two more lives than the killer.

If I went out into the street and saved 2 people from a car crash and then in a frenzy ran into the nearest home and killed some random guy they wouldn't say "Hero saves 1 person from car crash", they would say "Maniac kills one man in his home after saving two people from a car crash"

Posting pretty much only this one time

Post by Posting pretty much only this one time »

This becomes much more complicated when you factor in the amount they consume vs the amount they help the world. Maybe by killing his parents the mugger saved the world from people so frivolous they go to the opera on a regular basis, or maybe he harmed the world because of the amount of fuel the Batmobile requires.

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

Post by Salacious Schoolmate »

Post by ... »

Lives saved by Batman: B
Lives directly taken by killer in murder of Batman's parents: 2
Lives directly saved by killer in said murder: -2
Lives saved by killer via murder of Batman's parents: (B)+(-2)=B-2
If you don't think that's what the comic means... well, Zach does. And we do. So go over to the pig testicles and lick off the shit.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I think you are missing the point of the pig testicles.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:I think you are missing the point of the pig testicles.
Hear hear.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I hate that picture. I'm gonna start replacing it with something else soon.
King Prawn

Sue me!

Post by Sue me! »

Well, the dumb deserve to be educated. Point taken, though.
I will never again question the pointless point of the pig testicles.
Especially as it is being replaced with something else.
And that I'm probably never coming back. But if I am, at least you can greet me with pig testicles.

Honestly, though, I don't know why I'd come back here. A probably-photo-shopped picture of pig poop on big balls? Stupidest thing I've ever seen. In the two or three times I've seen it, it seems to get stupider every time.
Plus, apparently you're mostly engineers. I'm going to just go into mathematics. Maybe I'll be a scientist if being a mathematician is too difficult. Engineering is the kind of job you can only picture your father doing.
But then again, I'm young and naive. So what do I know? I might settle for engineering.

You might see this as a bunch of nonsense and wonder why on EARTH I'm stupid enough to even post this. In that case, I'm thinking you should look in a mirror more often. I'm not trolling (on the contrary, I despise this method), just attempting to blend in with the... *ahem*... CURIOUS natives. Which is very difficult as it seems you could take anything I say in either a positive or negative manner.
I'm sorry that the length of this rant is approaching the average length of Zach's recent comics (that is, it approaches infinity).
In fact, you don't really need to read any of this at all. So I'm just going to tell you, read none of this.
Oh, wait, I suppose it's a little too late for that.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Sue me! wrote:Well, the dumb deserve to be educated. Point taken, though.
I will never again question the pointless point of the pig testicles.
Especially as it is being replaced with something else.
And that I'm probably never coming back. But if I am, at least you can greet me with pig testicles.

Honestly, though, I don't know why I'd come back here. A probably-photo-shopped picture of pig poop on big balls? Stupidest thing I've ever seen. In the two or three times I've seen it, it seems to get stupider every time.
Plus, apparently you're mostly engineers. I'm going to just go into mathematics. Maybe I'll be a scientist if being a mathematician is too difficult. Engineering is the kind of job you can only picture your father doing.
But then again, I'm young and naive. So what do I know? I might settle for engineering.

You might see this as a bunch of nonsense and wonder why on EARTH I'm stupid enough to even post this. In that case, I'm thinking you should look in a mirror more often. I'm not trolling (on the contrary, I despise this method), just attempting to blend in with the... *ahem*... CURIOUS natives. Which is very difficult as it seems you could take anything I say in either a positive or negative manner.
I'm sorry that the length of this rant is approaching the average length of Zach's recent comics (that is, it approaches infinity).
In fact, you don't really need to read any of this at all. So I'm just going to tell you, read none of this.
Oh, wait, I suppose it's a little too late for that.
But read it I did. I think you have misjudged the zeitgeist of the forum. You have judged it by the LCD forum, which is not representative of the rest of the board. I'm not sure the percentage of forum regulars that are in math or engineering, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that it is well below 10%. Perhaps that it is why most of us have become rather disillusioned with the comic itself.
And the poo-balls pic is not photoshopped to my understanding. And they are usually only conjured up when the conversation has reached its most banal. Plus the person looking to replace it is only (sorry Kimra) a regional mod. She might be mod of this particular subforum, but she doesn't have the ability to swap it out in totallity.
Also, swan-song posts are so cliche.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

[quote="Sue me!"][/quote]
you are trying very hard and that is why you look like a moron
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

As far as I know, I'm the only regular outside of the LCD forum that is "in engineering" and I'm not actually an engineer yet. Nor may ever be at the rate I'm going. But yea, there are a lot of people at least claiming to be engineers, mathematicians or physicists in the LCD forum.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

Post by Salacious Schoolmate »

pigpooballs.jpg is a valuable part of this forum and if it did not exist we would have to invent it.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Actually, I study electrical engineering and physics as well, and I'm pretty sure Oldrac knows his physics too. I don't think it's ever excused us from learning basic social etiquette, or how to make interesting conversation, which a lot of people here to seem to think their career choice entitles them to do.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

That or the anonymity.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

You know, I used to believe the whole 'people are horrible online because they're anonymous' thing right up until the moment I got a Facebook account.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.