[2012-Jun-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Lethal Interjection » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Jewlian wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:I'm so glad this thread turned into a list of suspense thrillers.


Or am I?


Stewart Francis you are not....or are you?


That stinging barb would probably be more effective if I knew who you were talking about.
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Аחоחymоus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Yay! Mods confirmed my account!

----------------------------------
EDIT: Honestly, the letter Heth looked a LOT better during registration...
----------------------------------

Lethal Interjection wrote:I'm so glad this thread turned into a list of suspense thrillers.
Or am I?


I'm happy you appreciated them. Or perhaps not.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That stinging barb would probably be more effective if I knew who you were talking about.


He's from Canadia. His words, not mine.

Felstaff wrote:so did the guy get the password or what


Seeing as how she's just been shot, probably not. Then again, maybe the actual trigger for the woman was earlier than the events in this comic, and this hostage scenario was fabricated by the chip.

MrJay wrote:I'm curious as to how no one has suggested any abuse of these chips, [...]


I was too busy trying to remember mind bendy movie names to do so. But, at the very basic level, what if people started shooting just past their heads so the chip would feel the force of the passing bullet and kick in. Or perhaps, someone could reprogram it to lower the kinetic energy threshold for activation.

However, there is a question more fundamentally important than this: should the chip-wearers be aware of the chip itself while the chip is active? Perhaps someone with clinical depression or another neurological disease is about to die, when the chip activates. They are oblivious of their impending death, but perhaps the symptoms of their condition manifest themselves within the simulation--even in a perfect world, a manic-depressive will still have mood swings. Then, the person feels depressed, and decides to use the chip; they rule out the possibility of the chip being active due to their depression (unbeknownst to them, their mood is not psychological, and thus independent of the chip) and decide to blow their brains out in order to "activate the chip". Such an act would be a waste of the simulation and perhaps wake them up, only to die moments later. (Don't start bullshit about a 'chip within a chip', I hate Inception.)

So, I assume that the chip has the ability to erase at least some memories--the woman was unaware of the fact that she had been struck by a bullet in the past, the bullet that triggered the chip--then along with the memory of the user's impending death, it should also erase the memory of the user getting the chip, or even knowing about the chip. Presumably, if they don't remember getting the chip, but remember hearing about it, they might be tempted to install it within the simulation, which would lead to problems similar to the one above.


Ergo, the woman's chip is a crappy one.
User avatar
Аחоחymоus
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:57 am

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Lethal Interjection » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Аחоחymоus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:That stinging barb would probably be more effective if I knew who you were talking about.


He's from Canadia. His words, not mine.


So am I. Maybe I am him?
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Аחоחymоus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 am

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Аחоחymоus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:That stinging barb would probably be more effective if I knew who you were talking about.


He's from Canadia. His words, not mine.


So am I. Maybe I am him?


See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbCOMxCbeWw
User avatar
Аחоחymоus
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:57 am

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby MrJay » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:04 am

I don't really see the simulation a continuation of yourself in a "perfect" world (there would be too much of a disconnect) but more like watching a movie from inside of a body. A movie where you live a perfect life but you don't have free will. God knows how free will can ruin perfect simulations.
MrJay
 

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Аחоחymоus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 am

MrJay wrote:I don't really see the simulation a continuation of yourself in a "perfect" world (there would be too much of a disconnect) but more like watching a movie from inside of a body. A movie where you live a perfect life but you don't have free will. God knows how free will can ruin perfect simulations.


free will

exists


Laughinggirls.png
User avatar
Аחоחymоus
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:57 am

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Lethal Interjection » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 am

Аחоחymоus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:
So am I. Maybe I am him?


See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbCOMxCbeWw



Uh oh.
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Аחоחymоus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:33 am

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Аחоחymоus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:
So am I. Maybe I am him?


See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbCOMxCbeWw



Uh oh.


So, did you happen to see yourself? Are you two indeed the same? Also, where is Canadia and how can I get there from JFK?
User avatar
Аחоחymоus
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:57 am

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby MrJay » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 am

Аחоחymоus wrote:
MrJay wrote:I don't really see the simulation a continuation of yourself in a "perfect" world (there would be too much of a disconnect) but more like watching a movie from inside of a body. A movie where you live a perfect life but you don't have free will. God knows how free will can ruin perfect simulations.


free will

exists


Laughinggirls.png


Whether you believe in it or not, I'm sure you still live and act as if you did.
MrJay
 

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Abn0rmal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:49 am

Nuurgle wrote:This was definitely one of my favorite, and also one of the saddest, comics I've read here in a long time. Enough so that I created a forum account just to post this.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Abn0rmal
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:27 am

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Lethal Interjection » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:58 am

Аחоחymоus wrote:So, did you happen to see yourself? Are you two indeed the same? Also, where is Canadia and how can I get there from JFK?


Uh. Oh.
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Oldrac the Chitinous » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:17 am

Аחоחymоus wrote: Also, where is Canadia and how can I get there from JFK?

Why, how do you think it's spelled?
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.
User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
 
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby theseum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 am

The movie that the comic most resembles is repo men (not to be confused with repo man, a vastly superior movie.)
theseum
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Guest1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:54 am

Is it superior because it was a GIT repo?
Guest1
 

Re: [2012-June-06] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Postby Destructicus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Jewlian wrote:Stupid chip can't even simulate blood splatter. She must've gotten a Chinese knockoff happiness chip.
The chip simulates only things that make one happy.
Destructicus
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 am

PreviousNext

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests