[2012-Nov-23] Middle School

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[2012-Nov-23] Middle School

Postby axsvl77 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 pm

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2803#comic

I don't get it. I like the topic, but I don't know what is so cruel about Hoamuphone ?
axsvl77

Re: Middle School

Postby Lukas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm

It's because "hoamuhphone" is a homophone of "homophone" and a synonym for "homonym", despite not being a homonym for either "homophone" or "homonym" (or "synonym" for that matter), nor a homograph of any of them (including "homograph").

This might help.
Lukas

Postby Gila Monster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:46 pm

You know, like, it's already confusing enough for kids to keep track of all these words. How to spell them, what they mean, remembering the difference between a homophone and a homonym, etc. So to throw this word into the mix when kids are already struggling to keep track of it all is some kind of sadistic joke. She WANTS to break the minds students across the country.

Reminds me of that one Brian Regan joke about the spelling bee.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite SMBC comics in a while. I especially love the genie's face in the third panel.
Gila Monster

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

This crappy joke does not seem to be worth the effort of working it out. I sure am glad I didn't bother! I don't know about you guys, but I'm unlikely to enjoy a punchline I have to explain to myself.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Postby Lukas » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 am

Really? Personally, if I can understand the joke without the help of wikipedia, I'm not impressed.
Lukas

Postby smiley_cow » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:23 am

Personally, if the joke is so easy to understand that it could be explained by simply reading through a wikipedia article, I'm not impressed.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:05 am

We are slightly difficult to please.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2