[2013-Mar-07] Nearly everything in this comic is wrong.

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Re: [2013-3-7] Nearly everything in this comic is wrong.

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

CANDLE-SNIFFING FUCK FENCE, GO CLIMB A WALL OF DICKS
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Tragic Flaw is also an incorrect term. It comes from a misinterpretation or the term in Greek tragedy: Hamartia (a term taken from archery, meaning "missing the mark" ). Therefore, rather than the stale interpretation that tragedy comes from some personal trait of the tragic hero, it comes from them not quite hitting the righteous nail on the head.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Hammy wrote:Tragic Flaw is also an incorrect term. It comes from a misinterpretation or the term in Greek tragedy: Hamartia (a term taken from archery, meaning "missing the mark" ). Therefore, rather than the stale interpretation that tragedy comes from some personal trait of the tragic hero, it comes from them not quite hitting the righteous nail on the head.
You are correct. We should only use words in the manner that Aristotle originally intended. Certainly no other words or phrases have come to have different meanings as language evolved.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Kaharz wrote:
Hammy wrote:Tragic Flaw is also an incorrect term. It comes from a misinterpretation or the term in Greek tragedy: Hamartia (a term taken from archery, meaning "missing the mark" ). Therefore, rather than the stale interpretation that tragedy comes from some personal trait of the tragic hero, it comes from them not quite hitting the righteous nail on the head.
You are correct. We should only use words in the manner that Aristotle originally intended. Certainly no other words or phrases have come to have different meanings as language evolved.

I detect a hint of sarcasm. You misunderstand, I'm saying no such thing. All I'm saying is that if Hamlet is to be defined as a tragedy, in the true sense of the word, which I would say it is, the tragedy comes not from a "Tragic Flaw" in the personality of the hero, but from a choice, action, or assumption made by them.

You seem relatively versed in Theatre history, to bring up Aristotle. Tell me, what is your background on the subject?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Hammy wrote:I detect a hint of sarcasm. You misunderstand, I'm saying no such thing. All I'm saying is that if Hamlet is to be defined as a tragedy, in the true sense of the word, which I would say it is, the tragedy comes not from a "Tragic Flaw" in the personality of the hero, but from a choice, action, or assumption made by them.
I think you misunderstood what he said because that is exactly what he was being sarcastic about
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Here, this one's on the house.

Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Hammy wrote:You seem relatively versed in Theatre history, to bring up Aristotle. Tell me, what is your background on the subject?
Ponies
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

DonRetrasado wrote:
Hammy wrote:I detect a hint of sarcasm. You misunderstand, I'm saying no such thing. All I'm saying is that if Hamlet is to be defined as a tragedy, in the true sense of the word, which I would say it is, the tragedy comes not from a "Tragic Flaw" in the personality of the hero, but from a choice, action, or assumption made by them.
I think you misunderstood what he said because that is exactly what he was being sarcastic about
Ah, I see. Well if he is disagreeing with that, then he is in fact wrong. Theater has evolved and changed in many ways over the millennia, but when speaking of Tragedy, which again, Hamlet is, there is a way things are, or it is not a Tragedy.

And since apparently his background in Theatre consists solely of ponies, I'm going to go ahead and claim greater knowledge on the subject.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

i'm fairly certain you still do not understand what happened here, perhaps it is a brain problem? hang on, i will do a scan of your noggin meats now

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Edminster wrote:i'm fairly certain you still do not understand what happened here, perhaps it is a brain problem? hang on, i will do a scan of your noggin meats now

Your .gif isn't loading on my phone. Disappointing for me :( In any case, when one of you has a Master's degree in Theatre, I'll listen to what you have to say about it.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Hammy wrote: Your .gif isn't loading on my phone. Disappointing for me :( In any case, when one of you has a Master's degree in Theatre, I'll listen to what you have to say about it.
I have a degree of mastery in theatre. It is a small degree, but I still think you should listen to me.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Hammy wrote:Your .gif isn't loading on my phone. Disappointing for me :( In any case, when one of you has a Master's degree in Theatre, I'll listen to what you have to say about it.
Even better, if we had a couple of linguistics students on this board we could listen to them instead since they might know more about language
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I might not have a masters degree in theatre, but I do have an internet degree in lyingology, and I'm sure we can all agree that means I know all kinds if things. That is why I can assure you that the true meaning of tragedy is an important subject for us to discuss on this forum, and I believe that we are all very interested in doing so. I have a lot of knowledge on the subject and I can only concur that it is a business most serious, and nothing we could resolve by simply reading a dictionary.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.