[2013-Mar-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[2013-Mar-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby ziggurism » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 am

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2912: The votey says that "e=e/10" is a physics dick move. What does that mean? What is 'e' here? The eccentricity of the ellipse? Or Euler's number? Either way, physics doesn't purport such a nonsensical statement, right?
ziggurism
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:30 am

Re: [2013-3-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby Peon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:44 am

It seems conceivable to me that an eccentricity might involve the base of the natural logarithm; that shit pops up everywhere.

e/10 is 0.2718... just like in the comic, and according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccentricity_(mathematics) , that eccentricity corresponds to an ellipse, which is also referenced in the comic.
Ask the next question.
User avatar
Peon
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: [2013-3-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby Garbage » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 pm

I think the dick move is giving two completely different things that happen to relate to each other in such a simple way, the same name / letter.
Garbage
 

Re: [2013-3-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby Kaharz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Peon wrote:It seems conceivable to me that an eccentricity might involve the base of the natural logarithm; that shit pops up everywhere.

e/10 is 0.2718... just like in the comic, and according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccentricity_(mathematics) , that eccentricity corresponds to an ellipse, which is also referenced in the comic.


Yes, I believe that is the "joke."
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: [2013-3-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby ThePeople » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

the joke is he wants to kill himself
User avatar
ThePeople
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: [2013-3-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby Peon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Kaharz wrote:
Peon wrote:It seems conceivable to me that an eccentricity might involve the base of the natural logarithm; that shit pops up everywhere.

e/10 is 0.2718... just like in the comic, and according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccentricity_(mathematics) , that eccentricity corresponds to an ellipse, which is also referenced in the comic.


Yes, I believe that is the "joke."

I believe so too but the OP wanted it explained. It seemed nonsensical to him but it just seems like bad notation to me.
Ask the next question.
User avatar
Peon
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: [2013-3-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby ThePeople » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:45 am

kaharz drinks out of the lake
User avatar
ThePeople
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: [2013-3-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby Guessed » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Garbage wrote:I think the dick move is giving two completely different things that happen to relate to each other in such a simple way, the same name / letter.

This right here. Bad notation in Physics is part of the joke.
Another classic is using, v, for velocity and, nu (a Greek letter virtually indistinguishable from a v), for frequency in the same equation...
Guessed
 

Re: [2013-Mar-11]Fantasies after studying physics

Postby nowayiswrong » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:25 am

...but this comic does not make any mention of the natural logarithm, e, which may be approximated by 2.718281828..., so I am unsure what many of the above comics are referring to?
Sure, there is a quantified representation of the eccentricity, but at the 5th digit, we see that it is not commonly understood as transcendental...
nowayiswrong
 


Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests