[2013-Mar-26] 2927

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Jazzbo

Re: [2013-03-26] 2927

Post by Jazzbo »

I agree that it depends on the definition of emptiness. If emptiness is some measure of how much space the graph takes compared to the whole, like the area of the curve over the area of the whole, then the answer depends on your perspective. Ideally, the graph is 1 dimensional and thus has no area. So it would be zero the whole way.

If you consider the actual physical artifact instead of the idealized concept it represents, then the curve, of course, is not actually 1-dimensional but 2-d since any real-world line has thickness. And if you think not in terms of the area of the whole plane but instead the area of the rectangle before you and consider the ratio of those, then it is not zero. If you consider a straight line, it's area scales with length assuming constant thickness (an idealization). If you merely change the width of the graph and not the height, then it's area also scales by the length. And so you have a horizontal line again, just not at zero. That constant is dependent on the thickness of the line and the height of the graph.

Now I was wondering if one could have a curve as a solution instead of a horizontal line. Before I do that, I will briefly explore why a line has to be horizontal from a different point of view.

First consider a diagonal line with thickness w and length l at an angle theta going across a graph of with width x and height h:

h w
| /
|l/
|/theta
|___ x

x/l = cos theta
thus l = x / (cos theta)
Area of line over area of graph is lw/(hx) = wx/(hx cos theta) = w/(h cos theta)
Since w, h, and theta are constant, this is a constant which means it must be a horizontal line as argued before. The graph would be y = w/h.

Now let us look at a general curve. We are proposing that the area of the thick line after horizontal distance x over the area of the rectangle of the graph up to width x equals the value of the function at x.

(integral x'=0->x [w*dl])/(hx) = y, where h is height of the graph and x is the current width of the graph and dl is the differential length of the curve (construed here has a function of x) and w is the width of the curve.

So (w/h) integral x'=0->x [dl] = xy

Take derivative of each side by x.

(w/h)dl/dx = x*dy/dx + y
(w/h)sqrt( (dy/dx)^2 + 1) = x*dy/dx + y

Now, let us consider boundary conditions. The highest ratio possible between the areas is 1. Of course it is going to be less than one. The graph will not take up the whole area, so there must be a horizontal asymptote. That means that as x goes to infinity, dy/dx goes to zero. dy/dx should go to zero much faster than x goes to infinity, so the above will give you,

w/h = y when x approaches infinity.

In other words, the asymptote is the horizontal line discussed earlier. We also know that any deviation of the curve from a horizontal line lengthens the line and hence increases the area. So the curve cannot go down. It can only go horizontally or up. Thus if there is a solution to the differential equation that is not a horizontal line, it must start below the asymptote. But the initial behavior of the curve must mirror the behavior of the tangent line. Any line will have a value of w/(h cos theta) which is always greater than or equal to w/h. Since it cannot be greater, the horizontal line is the only possible solution.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

ThePeople wrote:You people need to look at the picture a lot more closely. You don't seem to understand it.
Clearly they aren't spending enough time analysing it. The meaning/solution requires more thought.

Post by Guest »

You could just label the y axis in reverse, so it's 100% where the x axis crosses, and 0% near the top. Job done.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

ThePeople wrote:You people need to look at the picture a lot more closely. You don't seem to understand it.
I think you'd better post it again.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

ThePeople

Post by ThePeople »

I take no joy in this

rjsfox911

Post by rjsfox911 »

A horizontal line at y=.5 (shaded below, of course) would be valid, no? If the graph's "width" is only the part of the horizontal which has been graphed (which seems logical), then for any given width, half is filled and half is not.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

maybe the problem is that people aren't seeing the full majesty because the forum software cuts off the image

maybe flipping the image will help

maze1125 i know you reported the first image but this is necessary

maybe in time you will come to understand
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

ThePeople

Post by ThePeople »

I think the orientation is important, just as in english we read from left to right, the eye "reads" along the pig resting finally on the poo on his balls.

But perhaps a smaller picture will deal with the problem.

john greyman

Post by john greyman »

ok, so, I think the joke is that, the entirety of the emptiness is determined by how full the graph is, in regard to the graph's width. So, you should just make a line, near the top, which goes strait across. Since the line is homogenous, and fills the graph at the same rate, as it's width grows, then the amount of empiness actually doesn't change as the width grows. So it's always the same amount of empty, so long as teh line you're drawing is very very regular.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

My other two cents is that if their speaking about the totality of the graph, regardless of the point on the x-axis. Then you should make the y axis negative, with increasing negativity. Then you leave it blank. Because it's empty, and thus, you shouldn't decrease the emptiness... or something, don't know if that breaks some graphing rule or not, simply how i'd chose to orient my graph.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

john greyman wrote:ok, so, I think the joke is that...
Not a good way to start a thread.

Also, interestingly, not a good way to finish a joke...

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

i think maybe the smaller picture removes the symbolic weight of the feces resting upon the hale and hearty pig's scrotum

i may have found a way to preserve most of the image as well as providing a similar traveling of the pig towards the ultimate destination of pooballs

.jpg

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

ThePeople

Post by ThePeople »

It seems to be working, good job ed, I love you

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

too much love.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Warchon

Emptiness of this Graph (Problem Solved)

Post by Warchon »

That is all.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I'm sorry guys, but I think the message still isn't getting across quite strongly enough. Here, I've attempted a post-modern distillation of the artistic essence of the pooballs.

Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."