[2013-Mar-19] The Value of Information Exchange

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

x918x

[2013-Mar-19] The Value of Information Exchange

Post by x918x »

I’ve been thinking recently: isn’t the exchange of information between humans done primarily for the purpose of bonding with your peers and reinforcing your position within your particular social clique? Talking about ideas is interesting to one particular group and boring to another, talking about people is interesting to one social group and boring to another, etc. It could be argued that sports, music, art, all only exist to give people something to talk about and bond over. Take music for example: a particular clique happens to align with a particular genre. People within that clique will then bond by discussing their shared enjoyment of the genre while mocking the music tastes of members of different cliques. The “us vs. them” mentality is a great way to form group solidarity. Within a clique, members establish a hierarchy based on who has a better mastery of the relevant subject matter (for example, hipsters competing over who knows the best, most obscure bands). It seems to me that all of academia is its own clique and the subject matter of choice is “ideas.” The hierarchy is established by who has the largest collection of interesting ideas and outsiders are ridiculed for their ignorance. Basically, academia is a version of chimps grooming each other that occasionally produces things like atomic bombs as a side-effect.

Qapla

Re: [2013-04-19] The Value of Information Exchange

Post by Qapla »

I've been thinking recently; Isn't Zach becoming an elitist snob who doesn't care about his original audience and now solely caters to the kind of people who don't want a punchline?
Really though, I'm looking forward to the next volley of graph jokes.

noone

Post by noone »

Qapla wrote:I've been thinking recently; Isn't Zach becoming an elitist snob who doesn't care about his original audience and now solely caters to the kind of people who don't want a punchline?
Really though, I'm looking forward to the next volley of graph jokes.
Say what you will about graph jokes, they're (usually) short.

Remarkatron

Post by Remarkatron »

Uh.

Isn't this comic talking about other people, therefore matching the second category?

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

You cuntwallops aren't my peers.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Rishahnu

Post by Rishahnu »

Philosophy aside, it's obvious to me that Zach has never actually seen a jerry can.

Qapla

Post by Qapla »

That's clearly meant to be some kind of key.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Philosophy aside, it's obvious to me that Zach has never actually seen a key.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

ThePeople

Post by ThePeople »

interesting people don't talk about ideas they kill cops