[2013-Jun-02] Falling

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Re: [2013-6-2] Falling

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Unless the server is lagging.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Sahan wrote:Yeah if Minecraft taught me anything, it's that you can survive a fall from any height if you have a couple of blocks of water to break your fall.
You really only need a half block water I believe. I've never tested that, but I know one block is sufficient.

People do survive falls from heights great enough to reach terminal velocity, but it is mostly luck. The guide for that bridge tour I did last week claimed his uncle fell some huge height off of a window cleaner platform and hit a large pile of sawdust instead of the dumpster next to it. He survived, although with some seriously herniated discs.
DonRetrasado wrote:I'm not sure about most of this, but I'll note that while landing on water is pretty rough, it's still less of an impact than landing on solid ground. Mythbusters did it.
Yea, but if you fall onto the ground and lose consciousness, you don't drown. Either way though, you aren't likely survive hitting almost anything at around 200 kph. I remember a story about some of the first skydivers to jump in Antarctica. Four singles and a tandem pair jumped. The tandem jump went fine, but only one of the four singles survived and that was because his automatic activation device deployed his chute. Two of the other jumpers never deployed their chutes and the other pulled it so late that most of it was still in the bag when he hit the ground. All three were killed instantly. The impact reportedly pushed them several feet into the snow pack.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kaharz wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:I'm not sure about most of this, but I'll note that while landing on water is pretty rough, it's still less of an impact than landing on solid ground. Mythbusters did it.
Yea, but if you fall onto the ground and lose consciousness, you don't drown. Either way though, you aren't likely survive hitting almost anything at around 200 kph.
Yeah, pretty much this based on my understanding of it. Also there's no guarantee you won't injure or break something breaking through or be disoriented, which will make swimming back to the surface harder if you do stay conscious. And the thing about keeping your legs together and tilting back is really important to keep water from shooting up any open orifices because that can kill you.
I remember a story about some of the first skydivers to jump in Antarctica. Four singles and a tandem pair jumped. The tandem jump went fine, but only one of the four singles survived and that was because his automatic activation device deployed his chute. Two of the other jumpers never deployed their chutes and the other pulled it so late that most of it was still in the bag when he hit the ground. All three were killed instantly. The impact reportedly pushed them several feet into the snow pack.
What went wrong?
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

smiley_cow wrote:
Kaharz wrote:I remember a story about some of the first skydivers to jump in Antarctica. Four singles and a tandem pair jumped. The tandem jump went fine, but only one of the four singles survived and that was because his automatic activation device deployed his chute. Two of the other jumpers never deployed their chutes and the other pulled it so late that most of it was still in the bag when he hit the ground. All three were killed instantly. The impact reportedly pushed them several feet into the snow pack.
What went wrong?
I'd wager that it's not terribly easy to gauge distance when you've just got a vast expanse of white ahead of you.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:
Kaharz wrote:I remember a story about some of the first skydivers to jump in Antarctica. Four singles and a tandem pair jumped. The tandem jump went fine, but only one of the four singles survived and that was because his automatic activation device deployed his chute. Two of the other jumpers never deployed their chutes and the other pulled it so late that most of it was still in the bag when he hit the ground. All three were killed instantly. The impact reportedly pushed them several feet into the snow pack.
What went wrong?
I'd wager that it's not terribly easy to gauge distance when you've just got a vast expanse of white ahead of you.
This was also my guess.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Edminster wrote:I'd wager that it's not terribly easy to gauge distance when you've just got a vast expanse of white ahead of you.
That is one of the hypotheses. The guy who survived due to his AAD said when he checked his altimeter he was shocked to see he was already in the 'red zone'* and pulled his rip cord. Apparently the AAD deployed his chute before he actually pulled the cord all the way though. All three jumpers who died were still in the free fall position when they hit. The plane they were on was also not equipped with auxiliary oxygen and there is speculation that they may have been suffering from hypoxia which would have made it incredibly difficult for them to judge their altitude and free fall time. The tandem team, who had taken more precautions than the single jumpers, also commented that the extreme cold over Antarctica at that altitude was rather disorienting and one of the single jumpers didn't even have his face covered, just goggles.

*I assume the red zone is the point at which if you don't deploy your parachute, you will meet the ground at a much higher speed than you intended. I've known some skydivers and gone up in a plane with them, but I've never jumped because that is an insanely expensive hobby.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Kaharz wrote:I assume the red zone is the point at which if you don't deploy your parachute, you will meet the ground at a much higher speed than you intended. I've known some skydivers and gone up in a plane with them, but I've never jumped because that is an insanely expensive hobby.
I joined the skydiving club at my university last year, but funding was low so there were never any trips except for a full price one, which was about $200.

Jumping out of a plane is one of my greatest desires. I want to do that squirrel suit thing too. And hang-gliding. Pretty much whenever I'm at the top of a cliff I want to jump off of it.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Pretty much whenever I'm at the top of a cliff I want to jump off of it.
If you need help, I can push you.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I've gone skydiving once, which a few months ago. It was pretty fun, but what they never tell you is that the blast of air as you hurtle downwards is like a giant blow-dryer for your mouth, all the saliva was gone after about 20 seconds. It's probably one of the reasons why you need to wear goggles now that I think about it.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Jumping out of a plane is one of my greatest desires. I want to do that squirrel suit thing too. And hang-gliding. Pretty much whenever I'm at the top of a cliff I want to jump off of it.
I'd like to skydive, but almost everyone I know who has done it said something along the lines of, "So I did the two training tandem jumps, got hooked on it, and then I went and spent a couple of thousands dollars on equipment." The closest places to skydive by my house are also at least two hours away and in New Jersey.

I've been on a lot of cliffs, I don't think I've ever had the desire to jump off of one. Possibly to rappel, but even after doing that a lot, I still find the first bit where you sit back over the edge to be absolutely terrifying. I'm not scared of heights, just sudden stops.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

The great thing about tandem jumping (which is what I did, was that I was just looking up at the ceiling when I get pushed off. I imagine it would have been much more daunting if I saw what I was about to leap into.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

DonRetrasado wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Pretty much whenever I'm at the top of a cliff I want to jump off of it.
If you need help, I can push you.
I appreciate all the help I can get.
Kaharz wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Jumping out of a plane is one of my greatest desires. I want to do that squirrel suit thing too. And hang-gliding. Pretty much whenever I'm at the top of a cliff I want to jump off of it.
I'd like to skydive, but almost everyone I know who has done it said something along the lines of, "So I did the two training tandem jumps, got hooked on it, and then I went and spent a couple of thousands dollars on equipment." The closest places to skydive by my house are also at least two hours away and in New Jersey.
I think there are a couple within an hour or so of my house. I might be able to spend the thousands of dollars when I'm done with my education, circa never.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I think there are a couple within an hour or so of my house. I might be able to spend the thousands of dollars when I'm done with my education, circa never.
Apparently a place just opened fairly close to where live and very close to where I work. I heard the ad on the radio yesterday. Too bad I'm broke.

Of the eighteen years since I started college, I've been enrolled at least part time for twelve of those years and so far I only have one and half undergrad degrees. With any luck I'll be done my second bachelors in a few more years of part time semesters.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Sahan wrote:The great thing about tandem jumping (which is what I did, was that I was just looking up at the ceiling when I get pushed off. I imagine it would have been much more daunting if I saw what I was about to leap into.
I'm not scared of the heights, looking over as I leaped sounds exhilarating.

Kaharz wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I think there are a couple within an hour or so of my house. I might be able to spend the thousands of dollars when I'm done with my education, circa never.
Apparently a place just opened fairly close to where live and very close to where I work. I heard the ad on the radio yesterday. Too bad I'm broke.

Of the eighteen years since I started college, I've been enrolled at least part time for twelve of those years and so far I only have one and half undergrad degrees. With any luck I'll be done my second bachelors in a few more years of part time semesters.
Oohf. Hope I get out before then.

ReasonablyLazy

Post by ReasonablyLazy »

So here's a question: Would fashioning a makeshift parachute out of my shirt, pants, and jacket I wear everywhere help?