[2013-Jun-02] Falling

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Spaceguy5

[2013-Jun-02] Falling

Post by Spaceguy5 »

This comic is the reason I wear a parachute with an emergency oxygen bottle everywhere I go. You never know when you'll find yourself in a high-altitude upper-atmosphere fall.

coolguy69

Re: [2013-6-2] Falling

Post by coolguy69 »

This was a beautiful comic, and I didn't really expect something so unfunny, and I mean that in a good way.

Peegee

Post by Peegee »

Hover over the red button.

Wrykolakas

Post by Wrykolakas »

Thank you for this.
A deep and true insight in the nature of science and life explained to a kid. I am touched.

GitDownZac

Post by GitDownZac »

Long time reader, first time forum visitor. I know I remember a while back Zach patently denying impending fatherhood based on the last few comics, BUT that was at least a month or so ago, and damn if he hasn't stayed hot and heavy on the kinds of parent wisdom themes like we see today. Has there been an admission of joining this sacred, populous club yet? And does Zach read these? I only worry that he and Kelly are trying and not succeeding... yet. My wife and I tried for just about a year before success... then the second announced itself with a due date of less than two years after the first. Looking forward to two in diapers. But my word, I've loved his motif of late, especially the ones that smack of Calvin's dad.

Rur

Post by Rur »

Thanks! Beautiful comic. "Nothing is too hard. Many things are too fast." will stay with me for a while.

@Tenebrarius

Post by @Tenebrarius »

Dammit! You made me cry!

bmkorkut

Post by bmkorkut »

I hovered on the red button, and was filled by hope.
Thank you from Turkey! (#direngeziparki)

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

bmkorkut wrote:I hovered on the red button which joked about overthrowing the government, and was filled by hope.
Thank you from Turkey! (#direngeziparki)
Looks like Zach might finally have blood on his hands after this comic. This wasn't the one I'd have expected to be responsible for this historic first.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

You know people can and do survive falling out of airplanes. The trick is to adopt a parachute position so your going down belly first so the air cuts down your speed, aim for a sloping area like the side of a hill (from that distance you can usually control where you end up falling by about 2 km, I believe?), try and land on your feet (which is apparently a natural instinct, so that'll help), and protect your head after the first bounce. Because there will be a bounce. That being said, you'll probably still die, but your chances are better.

I did get the comic, I just feel like being pedantic apparently. Sorry.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

TheDukeofNorway

Post by TheDukeofNorway »

Zach, this comic hit me like a freight train outta left field. It was unexpectedly impactful in the best way. Good job.

Sahan

Post by Sahan »

smiley_cow wrote:You know people can and do survive falling out of airplanes. The trick is to adopt a parachute position so your going down belly first so the air cuts down your speed, aim for a sloping area like the side of a hill (from that distance you can usually control where you end up falling by about 2 km, I believe?), try and land on your feet (which is apparently a natural instinct, so that'll help), and protect your head after the first bounce. Because there will be a bounce. That being said, you'll probably still die, but your chances are better.

I did get the comic, I just feel like being pedantic apparently. Sorry.
I actually love reading titbits like this. I guess I'm always imagining worst case scenarios and wondering how I could get out of them. Even if what you said is completely factually inaccurate, it's unlikely to affect me and regardless it gives me the sense of security in knowing I have a plan if I'm on a plane and it falls to pieces 2 km from the sky.
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Hopefully it's somewhat accurate. I went on a binge reading about people who've survived falling from huge heights a little while back, and that's where I came across the info. But admittedly it wasn't from any super reliable well-cited sources, so there might be issues with it.

Other fun facts: You also want to avoid water if you can, but if you can't try and go through feet first with your legs tight together and leaning back just a bit. Also moving water is better than still water, and you always want deep water. And cars make really good surfaces to fall on because the the shell breaks your fall somewhat. Also deep snow, soft ground and tin roofs. And if you're relaxed you're likely to have less injuries.

Sahan wrote: regardless it gives me the sense of security in knowing I have a plan if I'm on a plane and it falls to pieces 2 km from the sky.
Oh, I meant you can control where you land by about a radius of 2km from an average height of an airplane. But I'm not entirely sure on that number, I read this a while ago. But it's definitely a huge area of space to maneuver in.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I'm not sure about most of this, but I'll note that while landing on water is pretty rough, it's still less of an impact than landing on solid ground. Mythbusters did it.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Sahan

Post by Sahan »

Yeah if Minecraft taught me anything, it's that you can survive a fall from any height if you have a couple of blocks of water to break your fall.