[2013-Jul-12] Gerrymandering

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

[2013-Jul-12] Gerrymandering

Post by Astrogirl »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3047

I don't get this one, either. I know what gerrymandering is, cutting voting districts to favor one party. But what's this with the 1/3 shape and being subsumed and why are the letters suddenly at the borders.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

jgh

Re: [2013-07-12] Gerrymandering

Post by jgh »

We're redistricting my local council at the moment - all because one ward is now almost twice the size of all the other 27, so the whole lot has to be done. At leat here in the UK the recommendations are sent up to an independent body to adjudicate with legal rules instead of the incumbent administration deciding late 70-odd years ago.
The simplest solution is to find the centre of gravity point, and then draw 28 radial lines out from that point spaced such that each sector contains the same population. Simples! :)
Hi, I'm one of your council members for sector 7.

JTDC

Post by JTDC »

Astrogirl wrote:http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3047

I don't get this one, either. I know what gerrymandering is, cutting voting districts to favor one party. But what's this with the 1/3 shape and being subsumed and why are the letters suddenly at the borders.
The notion is that if the district looks like it's been gerrymandered (making 1/3 have the word gerrymandering in it), then it won't be desirable to gerrymander.

However, this proposal is terrible for a number of reasons:

First, equal area means that gerrymandering is actually easier, because you just put the population-dense district in the are that supports the party you don't like, and put the other districts in the non-population dense areas. Look at New York: NYC would be one district in New York--12 million people, one district. The other 7 million people would be divided among 26 districts. I wonder how that would skew?

Secondly, this proposal embarrasses the loser in the gerrymander war--the districts are set up to cram as many of one party into a single district, giving them exactly one district, and distribute as much as possible members of the other party, giving them more districts. So the incentive here is to basically screw the other party harder, not avoid gerrymandering.

In short, author doesn't understand gerrymandering.

Andy

Post by Andy »

This isn't the congressional districts work - they have to have equal population, not equal area.

Andy

Post by Andy »

This isn't the way congressional districts work - they have to have equal population, not equal area.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

This isn't the way way congressional districts work - they have to have equal population, not equal area.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Peon

Post by Peon »

This isn't the way way way congressional districts work - they have to have equal population, not equal area.
Ask the next question.

valenzuela

Re: [2013-Jul-12] Gerrymandering

Post by valenzuela »

Thank you for introducing me to this subject through your article. I want to introduce you to a game that I really enjoy. Geometry dash is a Swedish rhythm-based arcade game created by RobTop Games' Robert Topala. The original game only has 21 levels; however, thanks to a game creation system, the community has created over 50 million online levels, and the number is constantly growing.

amily01

Post by amily01 »

Too many changes these days and the policy is constantly being refreshed in line with the current Dynamons World situation.

williamliz

Post by williamliz »

Everything will adapt and integrate well if there is Five Nights at Freddy's 4