[2013-Aug-15] Just chemical reactions

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Danes

[2013-Aug-15] Just chemical reactions

Post by Danes »

This is the best argument for existentialism that I can think of.
"I don't believe in reality. It's just a bunch of chemical reactions."

MeisterKleister

Re: [15-08-2013]Just chemical reactions

Post by MeisterKleister »

Danes wrote:This is the best argument for existentialism that I can think of.
"I don't believe in reality. It's just a bunch of chemical reactions."
Don't you mean "I don't believe in free will"?
Not believing in reality has nothing to do with 'chemical reactions' or existentialism as far as I understand, but with solipsism.
Also, don't you mean "against existentialism" and not for?
Though I have to admit I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly 'existentialism' means, when people use it. :oops:
"Men educated in [the critical habit of thought] … are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain." -William Graham Sumner

My Goodreads bookshelf

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Life lesson, folks. If you want to argue whether a word is being used correctly or not, make sure you know the definition of the word first.

Though you do have a point in that, as far as I know, existentialism does not question the existence of reality itself, just any meaning behind that reality.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Danes

Post by Danes »

n. A philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in a hostile or indifferent universe, regards human existence as unexplainable, and stresses freedom of choice and responsibility for the consequences of one's acts.
Seems like I learned something today. I guess the same argument can be used for, I don't know, pretty much everything.