[2013-Sep-10] Wine cooler

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Re: [2013-Sep-10] Wine cooler

Post by Astrogirl »

Epoch Four wrote:Fun fact I love telling foreigners: we had a thing called the White Australia Policy until 1973. It is fun to watch their faces after I tell them this.
Today it is replaced by laws that deny asylum to those arriving by boat.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Astrogirl wrote:
Epoch Four wrote:Fun fact I love telling foreigners: we had a thing called the White Australia Policy until 1973. It is fun to watch their faces after I tell them this.
Ha, yep. That's pretty late, especially for a country viewed today as being really progressive*. Not as bad as South Africa though.

*Not for long!
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Astrogirl wrote:
Yeah... it's pretty disgusting. I'm prepared to be even more disgusted by the next three years at least, really.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Epoch Four

Post by Epoch Four »

Apocalyptus wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:
Yeah... it's pretty disgusting. I'm prepared to be even more disgusted by the next three years at least, really.
This is the first government I've lived under where I'm actually irritated enough by anything they've done to start e-mailing ministers. I'm starting with the communications minister today and I'll try to eventually work my way around the front bench.

It feels like basically every single policy of the new government is designed to piss me off personally. It just so happens that they're also pissing off more or less everyone I know. It's nice to have support.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I know how you feel. My state government is batshit right now, undoing decades of progress. The NAACP held weekly protests at the state capital building for the whole legislative session; I went to five or six of them.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Epoch Four wrote:This is the first government I've lived under where I'm actually irritated enough by anything they've done to start e-mailing ministers. I'm starting with the communications minister today and I'll try to eventually work my way around the front bench.

It feels like basically every single policy of the new government is designed to piss me off personally. It just so happens that they're also pissing off more or less everyone I know. It's nice to have support.
The question then stands: who the hell voted for these people? And how did a discussion about Wine Coolers degenerate into this?

I know a guy who the day after the election started a petition to have the broadband scheme continue. "Didn't you vote for Liberal?" I asked, in pure awe of his stupidity. This seems to be the general feeling. That people wanted to vote for liberal but don't actually agree with anything they are doing. Voting: You're doing it wrong. -__________-
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Unfortunately it seems that most people do not do any research on the policies of any parties before voting. The view that voting for a minor party is 'wasting a vote' or that voting doesn't make a difference really pisses me off.
You you don't actually have to vote as long as you turn up to the polling booth and get your name ticked off, but every person who donkey voted gave up all right to complain about our government whatsoever in my view. You know, it only effects our whole way of life and the future direction of our country!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Epoch Four

Post by Epoch Four »

This is what you show people when they start talking about wasting their vote or donkey voting. It is what you show them before you slap them upside the nose.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Epoch Four wrote:This is what you show people when they start talking about wasting their vote or donkey voting. It is what you show them before you slap them upside the nose.
Why can't I slap them straight away? I think there is something wrong with your strategy.
King Prawn

Epoch Four

Post by Epoch Four »

Kimra wrote:
Epoch Four wrote:This is what you show people when they start talking about wasting their vote or donkey voting. It is what you show them before you slap them upside the nose.
Why can't I slap them straight away? I think there is something wrong with your strategy.
I prefer to educate with facts before I educate with slaps, but YMMV.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Epoch Four wrote:I prefer to educate with facts before I educate with slaps, but YMMV.
You'll never teach anyone anything at this rate. Fool. *slaps Epoch Four*
King Prawn

Epoch Four

Post by Epoch Four »

Kimra wrote:
Epoch Four wrote:I prefer to educate with facts before I educate with slaps, but YMMV.
The gentle breeze barely skimmed the surface of Epoch's face as he skipped down the road to the toy shop.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Epoch Four wrote:
Kimra wrote:
The gentle breeze barely skimmed the surface of Epoch's face as he skipped down the road to the toy shop.
See? If she'd have slapped first you wouldn't have tuned out and wandered off by the time she got to 'fool'!
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Epoch Four wrote:Most things from about 1788 onwards?

Fun fact I love telling foreigners: we had a thing called the White Australia Policy until 1973. It is fun to watch their faces after I tell them this.
It's a shame that we here in the US get so much credit for being backward, racist, rednecks when you Australians worked so hard at it for so many years.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Epoch Four

Post by Epoch Four »

Edminster wrote:See? If she'd have slapped first you wouldn't have tuned out and wandered off by the time she got to 'fool'!
She had me until the word "You'll".
Kaharz wrote:It's a shame that we here in the US get so much credit for being backward, racist, rednecks when you Australians worked so hard at it for so many years.
I'm sure some Australians like to think it comes naturally.