[2013-Sep-10] Wine cooler

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

[2013-Sep-10] Wine cooler

Post by Astrogirl »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3108
So which word in there changed? "Wine cooler"? Something else? What did it mean back then?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Adam

Re: [2013-Sep-10] Wine cooler

Post by Adam »

Wow

Post by Wow »

That's a stretch. If you google image search 'wine cooler', you'll get more results for wine chillers than the drink

NomadicAgenda

Post by NomadicAgenda »

Rashkavar

Post by Rashkavar »

I have to admit, I was looking for something a little more impressive. Like Darwin's line about wanting to beat his wife - want meaning lacks...I can't remember the exact quote, so the grammar here is buggered to hell, but what he was saying is that he did not beat his wife. And one can use one of the many less-than-complimentary definitions of the word "nice."

Balsiefen

Post by Balsiefen »

What is a wine cooler other than an object that cools wine? This is beyond my comprehension!

Post by Guest »

Rashkavar wrote:I have to admit, I was looking for something a little more impressive. Like Darwin's line about wanting to beat his wife - want meaning lacks...I can't remember the exact quote, so the grammar here is buggered to hell, but what he was saying is that he did not beat his wife. And one can use one of the many less-than-complimentary definitions of the word "nice."
Perhaps 'my wife is wanting of beatings'?

maura

Post by maura »

My favorite was from Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"

Even so they might have managed it (for Mikolas is a skilled man) but for cruel accidents which have almost taken the heart out of them. He is a beef-boner, and that is a dangerous trade, especially when you are on piecework and trying to earn a bride.

CombatCube

Post by CombatCube »

̃~
D

Rawzer

Post by Rawzer »

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/ ... tails.aspx

Apparently it was just sold a year and a half ago, and had been in Hamilton's family up until that point. It sold for $782,000.

wiserd

Post by wiserd »

1. Apologize is a word that now means its opposite

2. "Political parties" was the colonial term for "special interests." That's caused some confusion.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Generally an apology is offered alongside its apposite.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Balsiefen wrote:What is a wine cooler other than an object that cools wine? This is beyond my comprehension!
Yeah that's what I'm asking.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's that pink bottle of something (probably alcoholic) on the right of the comic. Just guess though.

But look, I looked it up. Here's a wiki page on it.

Don't think it's funny though... which is probably where the true confusion lies.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:Generally an apology is offered alongside its apposite.
I see what you did there. Maybe? I wouldn't really regard apology as now meaning its the opposite of what it used to. It used to mean a self-justification or an explanatory defense. The opposite of that would be saying something along the lines of, "Because fuck you, that's why." And while I might apologize that way,* I don't think that is the common form.

*I actually prefer 'surprise!' to 'sorry.' It just makes it seem more fun, especially when grievous bodily harm is involved.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.