[2013-Oct-4] Pi-Tau Conversion Constant

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

P1h3r1e3d13

[2013-Oct-4] Pi-Tau Conversion Constant

Post by P1h3r1e3d13 »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3134#comic

Alright mathers, 'splain this one to me.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Re: [2013-Oct-4] Pi-Tau Conversion Constant

Post by Sahan »

Tau is a term that certain people are trying to introduce into mathematics, and tau = 2 pi.

The right hand side of the equation on the votey is an incredibly convoluted was of writing "tau divided by pi"*, which is of course two.

LET THE LAUGHS ENSUE

*If any of you fuckers try to pedantically discuss the various situations in which the two things are not equivalent, you can consider yourselves crossed off my Christmas card list for good.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

doubtingapostle

Post by doubtingapostle »

That is one bald, tooth-deprived two-year old. Is he/she using meth?

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

The white bit on the roof of the mouth is the teeth.

I'm more concerned by the jowly neck.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Sahan wrote:*If any of you fuckers try to pedantically discuss the various situations in which the two things are not equivalent, you can consider yourselves crossed off my Christmas card list for good.
I have never done this, and yet still no christmas card? I am affronted.
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

doubtingapostle wrote:That is one bald, tooth-deprived two-year old. Is he/she using meth?
Clearly, yes.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Sahan wrote:Tau is a term that certain people are trying to introduce into mathematics, and tau = 2 pi.]
Thanks. I knew the votey reduced to pi over tau*, but hadn't heard the whole 2pi=tau thing before. Is there some good reason for this? I know 2pi is common, but it doesn't seem necessary to abbreviate and tau is already used for other things so it seems like it would be more confusing than useful.

*and I didn't even have to consult wolfram alpha
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

panther991

Post by panther991 »

So I'm fairly drunk, but this comic still makes me want to punch Zach directly in the gut.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

panther991 wrote:So I'm fairly drunk, but this comic still makes me want to punch Zach directly in the gut.
"Despite being drunk I want to be violent." How novel.
King Prawn

kifujin

Post by kifujin »

Kaharz wrote:
Sahan wrote:Tau is a term that certain people are trying to introduce into mathematics, and tau = 2 pi.]
Thanks. I knew the votey reduced to pi over tau*, but hadn't heard the whole 2pi=tau thing before. Is there some good reason for this? I know 2pi is common, but it doesn't seem necessary to abbreviate and tau is already used for other things so it seems like it would be more confusing than useful.

http://tauday.com/ is where the Tau Manifesto, including the reasoning, can be found.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

kifujin wrote:http://tauday.com/ is where the Tau Manifesto, including the reasoning, can be found.
Meh.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

hendrikboom3

Post by hendrikboom3 »

Kaharz wrote:

I first found tau meaning half-pi in the 60's in a book by Eagle called something like "The Jacobi Elliptic Functions as they Should Be". There he introduced tau as a one-legged letter that's half of a two-legged letter.

jaydelott

Post by jaydelott »

Vi Hart will tell you why Pi sucks and Tau is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... G7vhMMXagQ