[2013-Oct-27] I don't know who or what I am anymore...

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

babomancer

Re: [2013-Oct-27] I don't know who or what I am anymore...

Post by babomancer »

I would say parenting skills and stable family life are not exactly separable.

topikamew

Post by topikamew »

Ah, the good old "nature vs nurture" problem.

Look, obviously you are an effect of a cause. But that shouldn't stop you from doing other "causes" that will result in favorable "effects". That's what your parents and ancestors have worked for. Also, if you think about it, EVERYONE is an effect of a cause, but it's still up to the person to make the best of the circumstances.

This comic in no way should tell you to just simply give up because you are an effect. It just states the obvious that you are an effect of a cause, which is true in ALL things.

If I may add one more thing, it's that it's really up to you right now in your mind/perception how the reality is. Good things happen and bad things happen. As long as you know it was for some cause, and that you can overcome it, you will come out stronger and better in the end.

Be the "good cause" to make the world a better place.

Loodwig-soon

Post by Loodwig-soon »

I think two interesting points have been made on here.

To the OP:
You are becoming aware that you are a product of your environment; you are not necessarily gifted, and even your own free will is suspect. If we believe strongly in a causal universe, even my desire to create an account, wait for it to become active, and then realize I can post even when it isn't active is a fatalistic condition preordained by God, The Big Bang, the aliens that set up this simulation we're part of, or some other singularity that served as the ubiquitous starting point for everything.

But this is not so.

I mean, your identity is not a function of your predetermined conditions, nor are you the victim of statistics that fit your demographics. Gloriously, there is no fate, at least as far as I can tell. We have a narrow band in which we can wiggle with regards to our ability to truly act with liberty. Within that band, we have free reign to be anything from an every day Joe to a fantastic monster to a true hero of society. Maybe you would be working at McDonalds if you were not born into such privileged. Maybe you'd be of the few that defied the role cast upon your socioeconomic status. Statistics are great at showing social trends, but they do nearly nothing to predict individual outcomes with any great certainty. Finally, what is desired by you is defined by you, so by certain status, being a cashier at McDonalds is far more dignified and appealing than being the President of the United States.

On the subject of sociology not being science:
I don't think it's fair to call "Nerd" a troll for calling out sociology as an impure science. From my perspective, it's a grossly subjective field, and I've met more than enough college-age sociologists to know that these future sociologists will embark on a pursuit that follows subjective ethics and emotion over purely objective scientific rigor. That being said, I'd hope that the people who pursuit a field in trying to help the inequities of society would do so as empathetic humans as opposed to calculating utilitarians. Sure, sociology isn't a "pure" science compared to physics and mathematics, but I wouldn't say that decries its merit in the slightest.

However "Nerd", I'd say calling sociology pseudoscience is a bit of a stretch. There's a big difference between an impure science that's projecting a modicum of objective reasoning on a grossly chaotic subject (e.g. society) compared to the complete and exploitative fiction of phrenology or astrology.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

I am a dad - and it is awesome.

I am the cause. Well, maybe not the cause, but a cause. Or an effect. Maybe it's my dad who is the cause. No wait, his dad, or his, or his. Or maybe some of the mum's have an influence? Nah, that'd be silly.

I love the sociology claim - go have a look at the beginnings of every other science - chemistry wasn't really particularly edifying when they were busy trying to get gold from lead, and as for biology/medicine - ugh!.

Maths wasn't too bad, once they had invented 0, you know, a few thousand years after counting was thought of.

Sociology is young. It's becoming more useful every day - we are beginning to understand how populations might react, how to do crowd control, how to convince populations to give up all their rights and freedoms in exchange for the painted whore of security. Oh, wait, perhaps that one isn't quite so good. Bad sociology.

ginopilotino

Post by ginopilotino »

so cool! i finally figured out where he gets his jokes from!